.270 .vs .30-06

trigger45

Is there any major differance between these two? Is one better than the other? Or should i just get a .308 and forget it?

Zak Smith

You could read the chapter on "rifles and cartridges" in O'Connor's "The Big Game Rifle."

Both will shoot a 150gr bullet at around 3000 fps.
The .30-06 handles heavier bullets (over 160gr) much, much better.

The most common load for .270 is a 130gr at around 3150 fps. .30-06 will do this also, but the bullet will have less sectional density and a lower ballistic coefficient.

Cartridges based on the .308 case (.243, .260REM, 7mm-08, .308) will have less velocity potential for the same bullet weight vs. their counterparts based on the .30-06 case (6mm-06 ???, 6.5-06, .270 or .280REM, and .30-06) because the short cases have less powder capacity.

-z

Jamis

The 30-06 will handle the bigger bullets better. But if you want a flatter shooting rifle go with the .270. Both calibers can be loaded with 130 grain bullets or lighter, but most 30-06's won't have the correct rifling twist to shoot them as accurately as the .270's. Both guns will handle anything in North America with the right selection of bullets. I prefer the .270 due the flatness, but I could live the rest of my life with a 30-06 and never feel cheated.

Wild Romanian

It all depends on what you are going to use the weapon for. If you are like most people about all you can ever afford is a deer hunt or prong horn antelope hunt. For this the .270 is a great caliber.

The .270's lighter recoil is often praised by people who dislike shooting heavy bullets in larger calibers.

However the .270 is not as versatile as the 30-06. Not that it couldn't be if it had a better variety of heavy bullets available for it.

This is why I have always prefered many of the 280's both standard and wildcat along with some of the classics like the 7x57. You have a better variety of heavy bullets if you would ever happen to go on say a moose hunt where deep penetration is desired. W.R.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
WR,

How much would you say the average pronghorn weighs? Also, you are saying you would prefer a 7x57mm to a .270 for moose?

Marko Kloos

The .270 seems to be considered by many experienced rifle shooters to be one of the most accurate and effective American big game cartridges. It is flatter shooting than the .30-06 and makes a better long-range varmint cartridge. The .30-06, with its heavier bullets, makes a better heavy game cartridge, but the .270 is certainly more than adequate for anything that walks in the Lower 48.

Molon Labe!

.270Win

I love the .270 cartridge, it is a master piece to the hunting world IMHO. It may have a heavy recoil but if you can't handle it, you would be better off plinking away at yotes with a .243 or a .223.

1Swede

I use my .270 out in Montana for Antelope. It works great for this. The Rancher I hunt with wants me to come out Elk hunting. He had shot an Elk with a .25-06 and hit it in the front shoulder. All it did was make a flesh wound. He recommends at least a .30 caliber for Elk and uses a .338. So as stated before it depends on what you are going to hunt.

Spectre

Staff Alumnus
"Bullet construction". If you hit a large animal as close range with a rapidly expanding bullet at very high velocity, I would expect it to "splat". You probably don't know what bullet your friend was using, do you?

Welcome to TFL, BTW.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
As a money matter, I used a .270 for whitetail hunting from 1963 until around 1970. From 1970 on, I've mostly used a .30-'06 and to a lesser extent a .243.

From the standpoint of recoil, a 130-grain bullet in the .270 isn't that much less than my standard 150-grain in the '06. Roughly 13% reduction?

The vast majority of all hunting shots are taken within 200 yards.

As a generality, all non-magnums from the .243 through the '06, if two inches high at 100 yards, will be about dead on at 200 yards and about six inches low at 300 yards.

And, roughly 20 to 24 inches low at 400, and around four feet low at 500 yards. 98% of all hunters can't tell the difference between 300 and 500 yards without a range finder, IMO.

I'm a long-time handloader, so I go with the '06 because of its versatility. And the cartridge, itself, with factory ammo is pretty doggoned versatile, as well.

:), Art

Zak Smith

Jack O'Connor killed just about all North American Big Game with a .270.

According to him, moose "don't like pain" and will walk a little ways, lie down, and die from a proper lung shot.

That said, I also wish .280 were more popular, since it is essentially identical to .270, but with a wider range of heavier bullets available.

-z