.270 scope for $184

Driveout02

I have a Remington 700 CDL in .270 that has no glasses. I need to get a scope for it, but my wife is already mad that I bought the gun itself :eek: I got a bonus check from work (that the wife doesn't know about) for $184, and am wondering.. what's the best scope I can buy for $184 ($200 TOPS)? I live in NE and will probably be hunting whitetail at medium ranges.

Thanks!
~Jake.

MacGille

Depends on your use for the rifle. I have a fine .270 FN Mauser with a cheap Simmons 3-9 on it. It will shoot one hole groups at 100 and hold its own at 200 or 300. It's not a target rifle, but it will hit anything I aim at. I could spend 1,000 more and not shoot a smaller group.

A scope is just a sight, not a panacea for shooting problems. It is the shooter that counts. If you can see the target well enough to aim at it, and if the scope is strong enough to withstand normal use and recoil, it is good enough.

Unless you have a great need for a specific quality in a scope, any decent scope between $100-200 should do.

Driveout02

BEST .270 scope for $184

Fair enough. I should have titled this post "BEST .270 scope for $184". I know there's plenty of options out there in this price range. But some of them suck. Hardcore. What's the best "bang for the buck"?

I live in NE and will probably be hunting whitetail at medium ranges.

Doyle

Here is what I would pick. 1st choice would be IF you can find a Leupold VX-I on sale (Gander Mtn had them on sale for $139 a month ago). 2nd choice would be a Burris Fullfield II (again, you would have to find a sale to get down to your price level as the normal price is just over $200). 3rd choice would be the Bushnell Trophy. Those are only about $100, so it would leave you some money left over for good mounts.

Kreyzhorse

Check out the Bushnell Banner series scopes. They should fall into your price range and for a cheaper scope, they are very impressive. They pull in a huge amount of light and are reliable. I've got one on my 7mm Rem Mag and have had zero issues with it.

I think you'll get a longer life out of a Bushnell than some of the other lower end scopes too.

flyboy14

keep your eyes open for a used scope. I just picked up a used leupold vx-ll for 165 to mount on a new to me 270. With a leupold even if something is wrong with it, I can always send it in for warranty. I always watch the used rifle racks, when I see a good quality scope on a used gun, I make an offer for the scope only, and can normally get the scopes for 40 to 50 percent of new. Nothing wrong with this one, by doing this I have been able to buy more guns. I picked up the rifle used also looks like it was barely taken out of the box. Ruger m-77 stainless w/laminate stock 350, leupold vx-ll 3x9x40 165 thats basically a brand new rifle with decent optics for 515.

shooter_john

Lat year I picked up a Burris FFII 3-9x40 with 'rangeing' reticle w/ a pair of 10x32 binos from Academy for $199. That would be my recommendation. It has been a great scope so far.

fisherman66

I agree with Kreyzhorse. Great value in the Banner line. Not the greatest scopes around, but for the value you get a solid scope with fair if not good glass. Mine has some minor vignetting and the edge ground is slightly fisheye'd, but if you have good bins, the Banner is more than adequate for final confirmation.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Deer hunting inside of 300 yards? Any halfway-decent 4X scope will work as good as any high-dollar variable.

I've tagged somewhere around 45 bucks in Texas' two-per-year seasons. I did some culling, years back, that I don't really count as "hunting". I'd bet that 90% to 95% of all those deer were killed with either a fixed 4X or a variable cranked down to 3X or 4X.

taylorce1

For what you want to spend and a quick search of SWFA my first choice would be a Bushnell Elite 3200 either 2-7 or 3-9 power can be had for what you want to pay. Next would be a Burris Fullfield II again the 2-7 or 3-9 power could be had for your price range. Nikon Prostaff would be my third choice and you'll even be able to pocket some money. My last choice would be the Bushnell Trophy or Banner scope.

LanceOregon

The top of the line Simmons AETEC scopes are nice affordable scopes. You can get the 2.8-10x 44mm model for $150, and the 4.5-14x 44mm model for $180 from Natchez Shooter's Supply.

Ricklin

You just missed a good one

I just bought a Bushnell made to Elite 4200 standards off ebay for 149.00 plus freight. Got it yesterday, appears to be everything the seller says. Very bright and sharp. It's a 3X9X40. I tried to find another on ebay for ya, but alas, all gone. I think a 3X9 is the way to go for a .270, but much depends on the country you hunt. My next choice is the Burris fullfield 2, SWFA has that scope for 189 with a free pair of binoculars, looks like a great deal.

Doyle

The problem with the Rifleman is that it is a $70 quality scope with an extra $100 for the lifetime Leopold warranty. For just a little more, you can get a Leopold VX-1 and get a much higher quality scope.

taylorce1

The problem with the Rifleman is that it is a $70 quality scope with an extra $100 for the lifetime Leopold warranty. For just a little more, you can get a Leopold VX-1 and get a much higher quality scope.

I don't know the VX-I and the Rifleman scopes are about the same price around here. The 3-9X40 that I bought in the VX-I was the same price as the Rifleman at the store. I only bought the VX-I only because it was gloss if I had been looking for a matte I'd probably bought the rifleman. I couldn't tell the difference in the store between the two scopes. Of course you really don't know how well a scope will perform until you get it outside and use it.

oldcars

I would recomend a Leupold VX1 3x9. You should be able to find one for around $200, they are good quality, made in America, and they will always fix it for free on the off chance something goes wrong.