270 Application & Attributes

Pahoo

I have read the balistics but have little or no experience with a 270, mostly 30-06. A friend of mine claims that it is the best deer cartridge ever produced and of course, I have heard this of other calibers. Basically, what is it's application and attributes, in a hunting enviroment and target shooting. I thank you for your attention.

Doyle

While being "the best deer caliber" is highly debatable, it will certainly get the job done. Recoil is less than the 30-06 and it is slightly flatter shooting but it uses a smaller bullet. The absolute biggest advantage a .270 has over the more exotic calibers is that you can walk in ANY place that sells bullets and find .270 ammo. That's mighty handy if you are on a trip and discover you've left your ammo stash at home.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Basically, the .270 is a .30-'06 with a 130-grain bullet instead of a 150-grain bullet. Bambi can't tell the difference. And, really, neither can an elk.

If you add the weight of the powder charge to the weight of the bullet, it's easy to see that the .270 has approximately ten percent less recoil. That's not enough for most folks to get excited about, although it's wonderful for gunshop arguments. :D

Art

taylorce1

If you are looking for a new rifle, you could do a lot worse. It is one of my favorites to hunt with and I've taken animals from prairie dogs to elk with it. It has plenty of power for any animal in the lower 48. I get 3100 fps out of mine with great accuracy with the 130 grain bullet which is what it is famous for. It is a fine choice for any animal up to white tails and mule deer sized, once you start talking about elk and moose it is capable but their are better choices.

It recoils less than the .30-06 and the trajectory is nearly the same as the 7mm Rem Mag with 140 grain bullets. If you already own the .30-06 and are comfortable shooting it then there is no need to get a .270 Win. If you are looking to get into hunting and want a good rifle the .270 will be hard to beat in most situations.

RedneckFur

"the perfect deer rifle" is very debateable. every hunter has their own openion of whats best and whats worst. I consider the 30-30 to be the best for deer, but I know many hunters who feel that the ideal deer cartrige is .223 remington or even .22 magnum (its legal here).

No doubt, the .270 is a fine rifle for most any big game you'll come across, and its a flat shooter too. If you intend to hunt deer with a .270, I think you'll be very pleased with it.

bluedog

Perfect?

'perfect' in this application is somewhat subjective....but I wholeheartedly believe that there is no 'BETTER' cartridge for Deer that the .270 Win....it is just as effectice on Mulies @ 400 yards as it is on Whitetails @ 100 yards....it is an awesome Deer cartridge!

tuck2

I purchased my first big game rifle the summer of 1952, It was a Winchester Mdl 70 270 Win. I used for shooting prairie dogs , pronghorn, mule deer, elk and other critters. A few years latter I got a 222 Rem Sako varmint rifle. Some time after getting the 222 Rem I started to try to find the PERFECT varmint , and big game rifles. Sofare I have tried out the 17 HM2, 17 HMR, 17 Fireball, 17 Remington, 204 Ruger, 22LR, 22WMR, 22 Hornet, 221 Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 220 Swift, 243 Win, 6MM Rem, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 264 Win Mag, 270 Win, 30-30 WCF, 308 Win , 30-06 Sp,308 Norna Mag, and 340 Weatherby Mag. -- Most are bolt action rifles but I have pump, semi auto and lever guns for wools hunting. I have had fun looking for the perfect rifle but None are perfect for all hunting in the U.S.A. But with reloads and selecting the bullet to match the game I could shot all the game with my old 270 . Good luck , Im still looking.

retrieverman

Though I am a huge fan of the 270 WCF, I wouldn't call it the "best" of anything. The quest for the "perfect caliber" is a never ending jouney, and in my opinion, it is kind of like looking for Big Foot.

I have killed over 100 whitetails and NUMEROUS hogs and other game with the caliber, and it is very adequate as a big game cartridge in bullet weights 90-160 grs.

dmazur

"...and target shooting."

I have read extensively about rifles, including small and large caliber, and can't remember running across any .270 Win target articles.

The latest thing is 6mm and 6.5mm (i.e. 6BR, 6x284, 6.5x284) for long range target shooting (1000 yd benchrest).

So-called "service rifle" competition used to be the .30-06, followed by the .308 and then the .223 (OK, the military versions of the last two...)

I think the .270 just hasn't been used as a target rifle, at least not enough to attract attention.

No reason why someone couldn't build a .270 Win to some type of benchrest standard, if that's what he wanted.

nodlenor

I would like to see more match grade bullets made for the 270. I own two of them and they are very accurate with hunting ammo. I just wonder what could be done with some match grade stuff. Most game won't know whether you used a 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm, or a large number of others as long as you can and do hit the right spot. Use what you are comfortable with. Don't worry what your buddy is using

Gewehr98

It never caught on as a target round...

And it won't until somebody comes up with bullets designed for that purpose. It can be done, but there has to be a demand for them. Witness the 6.5mm long-range creations, including my own 6.5-06, which at .264" is only .013" smaller than the .277" diameter of the .270 Winchester, yet generates better long-range ballistics than the latter even when using 120-142gr bullets.

I understand help may be on the way, Sierra now makes a 115gr .277" MatchKing bullet intended for the 6.8 SPC cartridge, but it will also work just fine in the .270 Winchester. :)

taylorce1

Berger is now producing bullets for the .270 as well but I really don't care that the .270 doesn't have match grade bullets. I really do very little target shooting with my .270. I have other calibers that are far better for targets. The .270 was designed first and foremost as a hunting cartridge and that is where it shines IMO. I'm happy with the accuracy I get on paper when I do shoot it at the range for practice before seasons.

Sierra offers the 115 and 135 Matchking

http://http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&displayAll=1&brandID=1

I couldn't find Berger listing for .277 caliber bullets but I saw a press release stating that the would be producing bullets in the VLD line.

Buzzcook

If you don't like your rifle then getting a new one in .270 would be a fine choice.

If you're thinking of changing because you're looking for a better round than the the .30-06 then changing to the .270 might not be the best choice.
The two are pretty similar and the 06 has the advantage of having lots more support.

Picher

I've used both '06 and .270 Win for many years. The '06 has an advantage in using heavier bullets for larger game and in wooded areas due to the great penetration.

The .270 Win is a little better at longer ranges because it doesn't drop as much. It shoots 90 and 115 grain bullets for great varmint or informal target shooting, including running deer. Using 90 grain bullets, it's not only very accurate, but with ligh loads of IMR 4895 recoil is very light. The best thing is that it seems to shoot many different bullets to the same point of impact.

Both my very light 90 grain Sierras and my very hot 130 grain Nosler BTs shoot to within 1/2" of the same POI at 100 yards. That's a wonderful thing when you shoot all kinds of game, larger varmints, and shoot offhand for practice.

Picher