.270, 90gr HP, 3700 fps ?

G'day, I've just fired some reloaded .270win ammo through my Ruger M77 markII. I put all the shots over my chrony. I've never used a chronograph before and was surprised to find 2 shots got to 3700 fps. I was not expecting many to get much over 3600 fps. Temp 38 C /100 f. Altitude 300 m. Barrel hot (everything was hot). Federal primers. AR 2208 (VARGET) powder 53.5grains. Does this velocity sound right ?

mkg

S&C , All I can say is ... EEEOOOOWW ! that's hauling it.

I think it is in reality alittle on the fast side hodgdon lists a MAX load @ 55 gr Varget at a velocity of 3596 f/sec. That is for a 90 gr sierra HP out of a 24" 1:10 twist barrel.

How far away was the chrono graph from the muzzle ?

How hard is it to replace the barrel ? Because at that speed it's not going to last long.

Mike

Loader9

I was running the Sierra 90 hr HP out of my Remington at an average 3780'ps. It's bad medicine on coyotes. I shot that load for about 15 years and the rifle still shoots a 1" group at 300 yds. I was loading H414 FWIW. I doubt any damage to the barrel as 3700'ps is anything hot anymore. You can get a 22-250 past that with normal loads and my 6mm is pushing 60's right at it and no damage yet. The case capacity of the 270 isn't near that of a magnum case so powder erosion isn't going to be an issue. I say shoot 'em and be aware that it is NOT a load for hunting pelts. I've blown jack rabbits in several pieces at 200 yds with mine. Coyotes will have a small entry hole on one side and half of the other side is gone. It's close to being like shooting small hand grenades.

mkg

Loader9 we'll have to disagree on the barrel wear . The F-class guys running 6.5X.284 will toast a barrel in a season ( 1,500 to 2,000 rounds ) . Of course you'll not likely shoot that many rounds out of a hunting rifle in a year, If you are I want to know where you hunt :D
I guess PD towns would run you up close to that .
I shoot 22-250 right at 3620 , I could load up but why? I can tell you why not , barrel wear. I bi-sected a rabbit at 240 earier this year and ground hogs out to 518 that's enough range for me , well actually not but ....

Mike

butta9999

It states 55gr as a max load in Nick Harveys manual for 3600fps. So you are 1.5gr off max. Are you showing any signs of high pressures? What was the average verlocity?

I used to use 55gr bullets in my .243 and was punching over 4000fps, punishment on my barrel. I now use 70gr blitzkings for around 3600fps, a little tamer.

Might be a good idea to go for a heavier bullet save the barrel a little. The .270 aint really a varmint rifle. I have never really been a big fan of using the lightest bullet for the chosen caliber, unless of course its a varmint rifle. The BC and SD is greatly reduced.

If it is 3700 on your ruger its a HOT load mate:D