.260 to 6.5x55?

mpd61

I know this sounds backward, however...

Could a rifle chambered in .260 Remington be reamed to 6.5x55 Swede? Please don't ask "why would you want to" or state "short action won't work".
I wonder if case dimensions would preclude it in any way. Looking at a possible solution to a very light rifle in the Swede.
:confused:

44 AMP

Staff
If the action is long enough....

Particularly the magazine box, then it would work. The swede is actually a couple thousandths larger at the head than the .260 (.003 IIRC) and if the .260 is slightly larger at the shoulder than the swede is at that point on the case (I'd have to check), it would still not be a problem for a good smith to set the barrel back a thread and rechamber. The boltface should work without alteration, or very minor alteration, if any.

However, if you stick with industry standard pressures, you don't gain anything, other than a rifle chambered in the Swede. The .260 gives the same ballistics as the Swede does.

However, if you handload the Swede to higher than standard pressures (in a rifle that will take it, and a rifle in .260 Rem certainly would), then you will get an increase in velocity that the .260 cannot match.

I won't ask why, but I am curious.;)

Crosshair

My guess is because the 6.5x55 can handle the heavier bullets better. But if the action is long enough for the 6.5x55 you should be able to load the bullets farther out. Unless the barrel throat gets in the way.

Jimro

I just did some quick calculations based on case dimensions, and a 6.5x55 reamer should clean up a 260 Rem chamber, but it is very close. If you had a large 260 chamber you might end up with a ring around the old shoulder after cleanup.

Jimro

mpd61

Jimro!
I figured you would know. I can get a used Ruger 77 compact in .260 and have it reamed for a wicked handy rifle cheaper than say, a CZ550 and trying to lighten that rig. Besides, I can't find ANY 6.5x55 rifle used for less than an arm & leg!
Keep those opinions coming!:D

taylorce1

Here is a Kimber Sporter you can do whatever you want to lighten this rifle up and it will be far cheaper than changing a Ruger compact into a Swede. This is another Kimber a little more expensive but ready to shoot. All you need to do for these two rifles is bed the action, add a Bold or Timney trigger with side safety, comercial bolt shroud, and Dayton Traister speed lock kit to really make one of these a great rifle. Plus you can shorten down and recrown the barrel to 18.5" if you want just like the Ruger all for less money. If you are patient and wait a little you can find even better deals on these old Kimber of Oregon sporter Swedes.

You just don't find that many used Ruger Compacts in .260 floating around. New they cost you around $600+. Add in the cost of gunsmithing, because you really would want to set the barrel back before rechambering and you'll have around $800 in a new rifle that would more than likely have to be fired as a single shot with heavy bullets.