260 necksizing - something is odd

603Country

For many years I've been mostly partial resizing brass. That worked great with my 270 and my 220, both of which have tapered cases. When I got the 260, I just went straight to partial resizing. It hasn't worked on the 260 as well as it did on the other two and I have since read that partial resizing isn't that useful on cases with little body taper. With that in mind, I ordered a Redding neck size die and today I started using it. I had some cases that had already been partial resized, but I threw thim in the bucket also and went to neck sizing all of them. The fired cases went into the die smoothly and didn't touch the sides of the sizing die. The partial resized cases were different, in that the case shoulders touched and were very slightly resized by the sides of the neck sizing die as the case entered the die (just the shoulders, but nothing else). Well, the question I have (and I hope someone can answer it), is on the mechanics of how the full length die pushed the shoulders out a bit. The necks, from the partial resizing, were resized maybe 75% of the length of the neck. I wouldn't have thought that the full length die got to the shoulders at all. I lube the insides of the necks before using either type die, so I wouldn't expect there to be enough downward force from the expander button to force the shoulders out, but that's the only thing that makes sense to me. This isn't a big issue, but I'd sure like to figure it out - with your help.