260 Change in twist rate

Has Ben

Hello Everyone,
I am new to the list and have a question about my Remington Mod 7 260, that Remington couldn't answer.
They told me that it was manufactured in 1997. My question was I understand that Remington didn't make the twist tight enough, originally, so they tightened the twist on later rifles. What year did they change the twist? Or what is the twist of my 260?
My original Google search brought me to this web page and a few threads on the 260. I did not, however, find the answer to my question.
Thanks for anyone's help.

Jim Watson

You can determine the twist yourself with a swivel handle cleaning rod. Just put on a tight patch or brush, mark the rod and measure how far you move it for one full turn.

How does it shoot for you?

Doyle

As far as I know, all those Model 7's have a 1 in 9 twist. Mine does - but I don't know the year it was produced.

Wendyj

All the Remington's were 1-9. Tmk. I have one in a Tikka that is 1-8. It likes nothing but 140 grain bullets. Good thing is it doesn't matter what kind of bullet. As long as it's a 140 grain under 40 grains of H414 it will drive nails. That's just my accuracy load.

Scorch

You may be thinking of the initial problem Remington had with the 244 Remington, later renamed to 6mm Remington after they put tighter twist barrels on the rifles. I have not heard of a similar problem with the 260 Remington. The 6.5-08 had a pretty successful career as a wildcat cartridge before being adopted as the 260 Remington, so any twist issues were no doubt ironed out long before that.

Jimro

According to the twist reference document at exterior ballistics, all Remington 700 variants have always had a 1:9 twist with the 260 Rem.

If you measure yours, odds are very good it will measure the same. If not, try to sell it on gunbroker as a rare model :D

Jimro

TimW77

Amazed

"260 Change in twist rate My original Google search brought me to this web page and a few threads on the 260. I did not, however, find the answer to my question."

I'm amazed...:eek:

Someone, and for that matter a new member, did a SEARCH for themselves instead of expecting everyone else to do the work and "spoon-feed" the answers to them!!!:D

T.