26 Nosler

hooligan1

Very intriguing, however thats more than likely a five thousand dollar investment... Luckily brass will be available...;)

Txhillbilly

As if the 6.5-284 wasn't a big enough barrel burner. It will be interesting if the 26 Nosler will have a very long life as other factory wildcats haven't done too well lately.
I'll stick with the 260 Rem,6.5 Creedmoor,and my 6.5-06 for my 6.5mm calibers.

reynolds357

They have made a beltless .264 Win mag.:rolleyes: Seriously, I am guessing this is simply the .375 Ruger necked down to 6.5. The wildcat has been around almost as long as the .375 Ruger.

Clark

I have tried to find the parent case from a Nosler source or a dimensioned drawing and have been frustrated.

There is no good reason for this secrecy.

Saltydog235

I'm sure you'll be able to find production rifles from Browning, Ruger, Remington and Savage chambering the cartridge before too long. Nosler would be remiss to be the only ones offering the platform, they make far more money off the ammo and components than they do their firearms.

No idea on barrel life but I wouldn't think it is any worse than the rest of the overbore cartridges out there. 25'06 eats barrels up yet people buy the heck out of them same with virtually every other magnum.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
We discussed this awhile back. Their 0 to 415 yard claim is quite literally a stretch.

Actually, it's a claim any cartridge on the planet could make, since they make no reference to maximum height above LoS.

As it is, I did the math and you'd have to be willing to be sighted 5" high at 210 yards, zeroed at 350 and be 5" low at 415 yards. That matches their claim exactly.

I don't know too many folks willing to be sighted 5" high.

Plus, as I said in the other thread, basing a new cartridge off a long action seems to be bucking the current market trends and consumer interest.

Oh, and I think the rifle is $1,600? No thanks.

reynolds357

The trend definitely is short, but I personally do not personally care if a cartridge in a hunting rifle requires a short, standard, or H&H length action. What I am not crazy about is coming out with a brand new cartridge that does the exact same thing one we already have does. From their numbers I have seen, the cartridge will not even match the .264 Win. mag. The .264 Win. Mag. has some of the most conservative published data I have ever seen. I have had several of them over the years. I still have three and am re-barreling one of them now. I have never had one that would not beat the published load data by at least 200 fps at any bullet weight. In some of the lighter bullet weights it can beat the published data by almost 400 FPS. My guess is the .260 Nosler will be a flop.
Geaux Tide, the Win Mag was not and is not a burner. The win MAg will push a 129 over 3400 fps pretty easily. All my re-barrels came between 900 and 1200 shots. Not a "burner" by any means.

Last edited:

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
900-1200 shots? I would have thought that was basically the definition of a barrel burner. I've never heard of a cartridge that goes under 800 or so and that's rare.

Clark

reynolds357
..The trend definitely is short, but I personally do not personally care if a cartridge in a hunting rifle requires a short, standard, or H&H length action. What I am not crazy about is coming out with a brand new cartridge that does the exact same thing one we already have does...

That cracked me up.
Where I live they are remodeling the library, and so shutting it down for 2 years.
The most common complaint to the local paper is, "There is nothing wrong with the library. This is just change for change sake."

Must be something about human nature or greasing palms or something.

reynolds357

Brian, you would consider 800 to 1200 in a hunting rifle a barrel burner? Oddly enough I am re-barreling 7 Rem mags and 7Wsm's in the same range. The only difference in them and the .264 is they gradually tell you they need a barrel. The .264 Win mag in less than 20 shots goes from 3/8 to 1/2 MOA to broad side of a barn MOA.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
Never really considered it's purpose. If it goes to hell in 800 rounds, it a MAJOR barrel burner. 1,200 rounds is still very bad. Many cartridges easily go triple that number, on the low end.

steveNChunter

They would've been soo much better off just commercializing the 6.5-06 AI. With modern advances in bullets, especially 6.5's, the 6.5-06 AI could take the place of both the .25-06 and .270 win and give similar ballistics as the .26 Nosler.

Saltydog235

Sure is a whole lot of supposition, griping and assumptions on a cartridge that no one on here has shot or experienced. Fact is none of us know very much about it yet. We don't know if it is any more of a barrel hog than any other overbore. We don't know if it is better, the same or worse than a .264, 6.5'06, 6.5-284 etc.

Maybe that all bears out down the line butt you got to be careful about ass-umptions.

Honestly though, if Nosler is only going to sell this cartridge in their rifles and it isn't picked up by the big commercial guys, the round will be a failure.