.257... is "special"

you may have seen the pics of my converted Single 10, into a Single "8" in 257 caliber, that I've posted before...

finally got some warm weather up here last weekend, & I got the chance to try 3 different loads in the gun...

the gun... a standard stainless Ruger Single 10, converted to an 8 shot center fire revolver...

the cartridge... "special" length of the wildcat 257 Magnum... cases were made from 22 K Hornet cases, trimmed to length

the bullets... 3 different offerings... 1st, my buddy cut me a 6 cavity mold, that throws aprox. 61 grain cast bullets, 2nd, the 60 grain Hornady 25-20 jacketed bullet, 3rd, is a 55 grain .243 ( Midway Dogtown ) jacketed bullet, swaged to a .258 jacketed spire point...

this is actually the 2nd time out, & still did not use my chrony, had gusty strong cross winds, shooting was from my bench, using my pistol rest, & at a distance of 50ft... cast bullets shot the best, the 1st time out, & again this time as well, with an 8 shot group measuring about 1.25" vertical, & 2" horizontal ( remembering the strong gusty cross wind, I was pretty happy with that ) the Hornady bullets were grouping about 1.75" vertical, & about 3" horizontal... the swaged jacketed spire points, if I threw out one way outside horizontal, resulted in a 1.5" vertical, & a 2.5" horizontal... both jacketed bullets were using Lil Gun powder, & exhibited low pressure signs... ( protruding primers, & sooty cases )... so I can try raising the charge on both jacketed bullets...

even though the strong wind, I really enjoyed the gun... looking forward to my next range session, & breaking out the chrony when I start getting closer to finalizing a load... glad to see my cast bullets shooting so well... BTW... cast bullets were just tumble lubed... my .258 lubrisizer die got here the other day, so I may have to try that & see if things get better or worse with the cast bullets... I wouldn't be apposed to just tumble lubing them, if the groups are best that way...

257specialampdies_zpsfa4d766f.jpg