.257 IMP

hooligan1

This is the barrel stamp on a custom rifle I'm looking into.

Wondering if anybody can relate, and if they handload for it.:)

jepp2

There are 3 specific 257 Roberts chamberings. There is the 257 Roberts, the 257 Roberts Improved and the 257 Roberts Ackley Improved.

Have it checked by a gunsmith to find out which one you have.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
I guess I'd have it checked but abbreviation for a standard Roberts should be Rbt, IMP should certainly mean "Improved". The standard abbreviation for Ackley Improved would be AI not IMP.

jepp2

The standard abbreviation for Ackley Improved would be AI not IMP.

If you replaced the word "would" with "should" I would totally agree with that. What if the gunsmith didn't know there was Roberts Improved and only thought there was was an Ackley Improved and through the stamping would be sufficient? I am will to bet there are a lot more AI's out there than Imp.

HiBC

I'd have to agree a chamber cast would be prudent.
It is ordinarily done with Cerro-safe alloy,a metal that will melt at boiling water temperature and has ideal shrinkage properties to take measurements.

While the cerro safe would give a true,measurable result,another pretty good material is Co-Flex dental impression compound.Its a 2 part,quick setting rubber.,That would likely tell you which version you have.

If the chamber was done right,and if you do have a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved,a .257 Roberts factory or handload is chambered and fired.The case blows out to a straighter case with a sharper shoulder.In hotrod terms,it gets bored and stroked.

There are some subtleties of headspace when you do this.You really want the case head to be held against the bolt face when you fireform.I have found long seating the 117 gr round nose ideal,as it will jam into the rifling.You can usually get them cheap if you can find them.They will be in an old,dusty box.

A caution:If you have a rifle,such as a Mauser,with what is called a controlled round feed,with a long,claw extractor,you must push the cartridge down into the magazine so it can feed up under the extractor.Do not just drop a round in and force the bolt closed.You will crush back a fairly delicate headspace feature well before the extractor can be abused over the rim.

You should always feed these rifles up from the magazine anyway,but a friend of mine did not know that and he did it the wrong way.The case separated,as it was overly stretched.

hooligan1

HIBC, I believe it is a 1917 action, but I only have a few pics so here they are. It's a handsome rifle that I can afford luckily!!!

Last edited:

JerryM

It is a good looking rifle. Might be a good buy. I think the action is a Springfield from the rear of the bolt.
Jerry

HiBC

I would agree it appears to be a Springfield.I really like them.Along with the history,I like the lines.

While they are a good,strong action,there is something to be aware of and check out.About 100 years ago when they started out making them,they had a few problems sorting the heat treating out.So,there are guidelines regarding the serial numbers of actions considered strong and safe,versus actions that had a bad heat treat and may be weak and brittle.These are called"low number Springfields"

I'll try doing a search here to find you a thread where this is discussed.

HiBC

If you do a search on member Keller505255 and/or 1903 Springfield (note search function up on toolbar) you will get a thread on this topic.

The knowledgable gentleman I would give credibility to on this thread is kraigwy.

Good luck!

hooligan1

Looks like the fella will be sending me the rifle after all. He actually will ship this rifle to me this coming week!:)

And I'll have one more reason to go to the range!!;)