2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler DOA

308Loader

Thought I got a great deal on a 2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler. Local fleet and farm had it on clearance for $70, got another 10% off for open box.

Unit is DOA right out of the box! Motor is locked up. Just hums, no movement. Of course lyman Is closed today... "Quality assurance" tag says to contact lyman, not to bring back to store. Any one ever deal with lyman for this type of problem? If I bring it back to the store it will be for refund, this one is the last one they had.

Total bummer!

Given the open box, it was probably returned for that same reason. See what Lyman says. If you are feeling adventurous and the motor looks OK and doesn't smell or look burnt, but the shaft is locked up and you can't turn it easily, I've twice found paper or other packing material stuck between the rotor and stator of the type of motor they use. Disassemble, remove foreign matter, reassemble. Voila! It runs.

k4swb

Thought I got a great deal on a 2500 Pro Magnum Tumbler. Local fleet and farm had it on clearance for $70, got another 10% off for open box.

Unit is DOA right out of the box! Motor is locked up. Just hums, no movement. Of course lyman Is closed today... "Quality assurance" tag says to contact lyman, not to bring back to store. Any one ever deal with lyman for this type of problem? If I bring it back to the store it will be for refund, this one is the last one they had.

Total bummer!
They'll fix it or if you figure out what the problem is, they MIGHT send you the parts.
Did that for me but it was quite awhile back.

308Loader

I also found some plastic chips in the bole. maybe some got in the workings? the hot glue on the springs also has some spiderwebs of left over glue.

If I take it apart will that void the warrantee? motor looks & smells ok. wires look good. I am a PLT by trade, not afraid to take it down. my 1200 has been running for 4 years, no issues.

being the end of year, it may take them a few days to get back to me.

Last edited:
It'll probably void the warranty if you don't get their permission first. I just assume I'm taking that chance when I dig into something like that. But if it looks put together in a way you can disassemble and reassemble without scuffing it up or otherwise making it obvious you had it apart, then I'd say you have nothing to lose.

308Loader

Still waiting for lyman to respond... sent 2 emails, I will call on lunch break tomorrow. Their customer service hours are tough for the working folks. 9am-4pm EST, 7 hours a day, sounds like a dream job. :) 6 1/2 with a lunch :)

Ill give it until the end of the week before I have my way with it. The old 1200 is running like a champ. The H.F. one craped out after one season, ripped its self a hole in the bole. But that motor is still operational :D.

308Loader

Ok, I guess I lied. curiosity got the best of me (again). I spun the fan blade (unplugged) with a screwdriver. I found that it is getting hung up with the hot glue mound on this cable.problem.jpg. It runs now, kind of noisy. their seems to an abundance of hot glue spiderwebs and some black plastic chips in the bole. Disappointed in lyman.

primerman

I have had the same issue with Lyman (hard to get a hold of) and if I did find someone to talk to they refused to replace parts or replace the item once out of warranty. I was disappointed, not mad. I just looked to other reloading folks to purchase from and never looked back. I guess you can say their products are as advertised. I'm sure others have had a better experience.