250 Savage

E.J.W.

Does anybody have a "light" load recipe for the old 250 Savage?
I looked in some newer books I have but it's not listed (probably due to the cartridge's age)
I'm trying to help a new shooter get into reloading for the only rifle he owns at this time.
Thanks
E.

griz

What powders do you have available and how light do you want to load?

I used 4895 to load 86 gr bullets down to about 2800 FPS, but that probably wouldn't seem much lighter to a new shooter. I'll look tonight for some much lighter loads, about 22 mag power level.

jimbob86

Lee 2nd ed lists a load for "87 gr jacketed bullet" using SR4759:

Start gr:18.2gr (2264 f/sec) Do Not Exceed 20.5gr (2515 f/sec, 44,700 CUP) Min OAL 2.515"

That light enough for ya?

E.J.W.

Thanks for the replies.
I have some IMR 4320 & 4350 from 243 Win tests, some Varget for my 22-250 and LEVERevolution for my old 30-30.
So.... looks like we'll pick up some 4895 or S759 (whatever LGS has) and start there. I think the bullets he has are 87gr, but I'll verify this before we head to the LGS. Bob is the type not to purchase a specific tool if he's already got something that can be made to work so this 250 Savage which has done deer & hogs for his brother will be forced now to "do it all" including woodchucks for Bob. Hopefully the "I need another gun" disease I have will rub off onto him and he'll buy my 22-250.
Thanks
E.