250 Savage questions

lt dan

in s-africa our local reloading manual doesn't have info on the 250-3000. my father in law has one. i haven't used his rifle much since the ammo has to be imported at a high price. however i recently spoke to a local 250 owner and now i believe there is more to this calibre than i always thought.

this is a savage model 99 the lever action. lever actions are not very common in africa and this one is the only lever action i have ever shot in my life. i can use it far more often if i reload.

questions:

1: what are the different bullet weights available?
2:what are the max velocities for this calibre and is it safe to chase these maximum speeds out of a lever gun?
3: is it possible to fit a scope to this rifle?

my father in law took a lot of deer sized anti-lope with this rifle and depending on the feedback i get from you guys i intend to use it as both a regular gun as well as a varminter.

ligonierbill

First, you have a valuable rifle there. My brother collects old lever actions, and always finds a deal, but he had to come up with $600 for a good 99 .250. The original 250-3000 got the 3000 part loading a 87 grain bullet at 3000 fps. Those bullets are still available. A better hunting bullet is a 0.257 100 grain at about 2700 fps. I am looking at the Speer #14 Manual. Also available are 120's, but according to Speer, the slower twist in older rifles will not stabilize them. I have not loaded and tested any for my brother, so I hesitate to quote loads. Powder makers' websites would be your best bet. Because the old Savage 99 was the primary rifle for this caliber, the load data is based on that action.

Pathfinder45

The 250 Savage....

......made it's reputation in the big-game fields with 100 grain bullets. An uncle of mine used his with good results in Alaska. Factory loads with 100 grain bullets run around 2820 fps. If you have a 24" barrel you can safely get at or near 3,000 fps with a couple of different powders. I don't have my books at the moment but my older Speer #9 manual and an older Hodgdon pamphlet each list a 3,000 fps load. If I remember correctly, the Hodgdon powder was H-414 and the Speer manual's top powder was IMR-4831. I won't quote the actual loads without the manual in front of me.

welder05

I just had a Spanish Mauser rebarrrel to 250 Savage and am very happy with the results. I am using it this deer season in TX. You will find a good selection of 85 90 and 100 gr. choices by most all manufacturers. If you want something smaller Hornady has the 75 VMax and on the larger side you have the 117 and 120 gr. selections. I didn't have a lot of time before the season to work on loads. I have under an inch group with Reloader 15 and 100 gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I have heard Nosler does not recommend its selection for the older slower twist levers. However I have read reports that some have tried the Nosler in the 99's with good results. I hope you have good results with your 250. I had a 99 in 300 Savage and wish I would not have sold it.

lt dan

if i use the 75grn then will i get 3100fps +? and is this safe in a lever action?

i am still not sure if i can fit a scope to this rifle?

HiBC

My Nosler book has a 100 gr bullet load with Hogdon 4895 @ a max load giving 2952 fps and a 85 gr load with IMR 4895 @ 3018 fps max load.

These are from a 22in test bbl,1 in 10 twist,Win brass,cci BR-2 primer,max loa,2.515

Hogdon and nosler have websites.

Does it have plugscrews for the mounting holes for a scope base?If it does,piece of cake!!They work well with a scope.If it requires drlling and tapping,you may want to carefully consider that it will alter it from original,and reduce the collector value.

They can give very good accuracyfor a rifle of that time,don't be surprised i you get 1 1/4 or so groups@ 100 yds if the bbl is good.

Expect good results on 100-120 lb, lightly built game.

If you had tighter rifling,and could drive the 115 to 120 gr bullets,you could up that a bit.

hammie

You mentioned that .250 savage ammunition was expensive and difficult to find. How readily available is .22-250 Rem? If you can find that cartridge, then just get a tapered .243 and .257 expander ball for your .250 savage dies and neck the .22-250 Rem. up to .257. It's kind of ironic how the wildcat has become the parent cartridge for the parent cartridge.

ZX10Aviator

Mine
429985172_AMJdJ-M.jpg

100gr seem to shoot a little better in mine, but I have not completed my custom loads yet.

lt dan

zx10, i like your picture. from what you guys have posted, convinced me about the 250's wide range. so i am going to purchase a set of dies and reload for deer sized animals and chase some speed for varmint loads. all with the aid of a good scope.

ZX10Aviator

Ive taken coyotes with it also. Used to be my main deer gun until I got a 7mag. I like how unique it is, you go out now and all you see is tikka's and such, someone has to have character! hehe :cool:

Dont expect it to shoot one ragged hole at 100yds though!