25 yard sight in

Gopher

I have access to a range that is 25 yards long with a good backstop. I need to sight in a Ruger mini-14 and a New England Arms Handi Rifle with a .223 and a 30.06 barrel. What do I need to sight in at to be on at 100-150 yards with the .223 and 300 yards with the .06? I could go 50 yards but I'd be picking barbed wire out of my back and could shoot 100 yards if I opened both barn doors and took down a white board fence. Thanks for the help.

ps. will be shooting down hill at about a 5 to 7 degree angle.

Rex Feral

Without bullet weights and muzzle velocities it is kind of hard to answer your question.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Approximately: With a scope-sighted rifle, dead-on at 25 yards will put a .30-'06 around two inches high at 100 yards--which is dead on at 200 yards. A .223 is a little flatter.

Now: 2" high at 100 is give or take an inch or two when you rely on the 25-yard setting of a scope. It's also one to two inches off, sideways. I use the 25 yard check to get on the paper at 100 yards when sighting in "for real".

In other words, 25 yards is merely a starting point.

FWIW, Art

Gopher

Rex: 55 grain reloads on the .223 and 180's on the 06.

Bad Walter , Bad!

4x on the .223 Handi Rifle and 3x9 on the .06. Iron on the mini.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
WalterGAII: I never had any trouble getting two inch groups on paper at 100 yards; never had trouble killing jackrabbits or coyotes out to 100-150 yards, either.

See, the deal is, you line up the top of the front sight, centered in the hole in the rear sight, and gently squeeze the trigger. It's truly amazin' how good you can do once you learn how...

:), Art

DaMan

Gopher, step #1: determine the height of site over center of bore. Use a caliper.

Step #2: describe the bullet (not just bullet weight... describe the bullet exactly) and give the estimated velocity (ballistic coefficient BC if you know it).

With that info, I can give you accurate answers.

Regards! DaMan

Gopher

DaMan: I dont have a way of taking the measurments. I really just needed to get a rough sight in until I have the chance to get to a longer range. There is a new 200 yard indoor range under construction in my area now and I'll do a final sight in there. Close enough for government work will do for now. :D

DaMan

Gopher, I figure the Mini-14's sights are about .7" above the center of bore. Sight the Mini to hit nuts on at 25yds. and you'll be good out to 150 holding dead-on. At 200 yards, you'll be hitting about 3.1" low.

I figure the Handis are fitted with extra high rings so they'll be about 1.8" above center of bore.

You specified you wanted the '06 to hit right on at 300yds. So you'll need to sight it in to hit .5" high at 25yds. But keep in mind this will put the path of the bullet 6.6" high at 175 yds. I would actually recommend sighting it about .25" high at 25yds. and holding over a little at longer ranges (past 275yds). Shots one big game are much more likely to be at shorter ranges than 300yds.

On the .223 Handi, sight it nuts on at 25yds. This will give you a 200yd zero. And you will be able to hit very small targets from close to 200 yds. holding dead-on.

Regards! DaMan

Cheapo

Measure your sights above bore line with a ruler, to the nearest 1/6-inch, if you cannot get a decimal reading with a caliper.

Easy Method: on the outside, measure from the middle (widest) part of the barrel to the top of the front sight. For a scope, measure from the middle of the barrel to the middle of the scope.

If you have a measured instrumental velocity with either rifle, then post it. Looks like your loads are..."standard?" 55 FMJBT in the Mini and 180-gr flat base soft points for the '06?

From this info, we can calculate some fairly detailed zero info. It will be really close to dead on to at least 200 yards, maybe even 300...