.25-20 Winchester from 7.62 Nagant Brass

Deltadart

Is it possible to use 7.62 Nagant brass to form .32-20 Winchester brass and then form that brass into .25-20 Winchester brass? My question is, if possible to form the brass it appears the rim on the Nagant is not as thick as the Winchester rim so the head spacing would be off. Has anyone tried to do this operation?

Deltadart

Scorch, they show out of stock and no backorders now for weeks. I have tried to call but no answer, have sent emails but no reply. I have been trying to find .25-20 Brass or .32-20 brass for 2 months all out of stock with no known delivery dates from Winchester, Remington, PPU, or Starline.

BillM

Try Top Brass. reloadingbrassusa.com
I could put 25-20 brass in my cart and it didn't kick to backorder---

Deltadart

Diamond brass had no idea when they would have inventory. The Reloading Brass USA had unfavorable reviews on some other sites so I was concerned about sending them over a 100.00 dollars for minimum order. Buffalo Arms who I usually deal with said they would place a back order for me, but they too said no idea when stock would be available. Huntington is showing stock at just above a 1.00 per case for brass that sold for 16.50 per 50. I suppose that is better than the +2.00 each for supposedly once fired brass on Gunbroker. That was the reason for my question on the 7.62 Nagant conversion. I know people use O rings on some .303 British brass to solve head space issues, however the difference on the .25-20 Win and Nagant is .016 for the rim thickness.

I clicked on the link to reloadingbrass.com, and my system's scam detector automatically interrupted the link. I suggest standing clear of them.

To the OP's original question, the problem with the Nagent conversion is the Nagent rim is 0.040" thinner than the 32-20 rim, so your chamber headspace will be that much too big and will produce that much additional head clearance. It's enough that it could raise ignition reliability issues and would certainly tend to stretch cases toward head separation prematurely, even if the ignition was OK. You might get away with it if you used an 0.040" thick spacer to extend the Nagent rim for the first firing and then used neck-sizing-only for reloading thereafter, as that snug chamber fit might enable the tiny little case shoulder to act as the headspace determinant instead of the rim.

Deltadart

The information I have is the Nagant rim is .050 while the 25-20 rim is .065 so there is a difference of .015. That is enough to affect the headspace. Can not be that good for case life, however I do not know how much it will affect either. There is at least one company online selling the 7.62 brass from PPU converted to .25-20 Win. They do not address the issues of the rim, and as yet I have not had a reply to my email to them. The folks at Buffalo Arms said they sell the Nagant brass to people who do the conversion as well since .25-20 brass is very difficult to obtain and almost that bad with .32-20 or .218 Bee. So far I have not been able to find any information on the issues with the thickness of the rim or the smaller diameter regarding case life, headspace, ignition, extraction, or separation of the head. I did just receive some new PPU brass so I will be finding out in the next few days from my own testing. All of the loads will be cast 87 grain linotype and light charges of smokeless powder and some 15 gr 3F Swiss.

Sorry. I screwed up there. The difference is 0.4 mm at the CIP site, not 0.040" as I mistakenly wrote in post #11. So it's a difference of about 0.016" if the Nagent cases happen to have maximum tolerance rim thickness and the 32-30 chamber happens to be a minimum tolerance chamber. The rim tolerance is -0.25 mm, and the chamber headspace tolerance is +0.007", so the error grows to 0.0326" of excess headspace with a minimum tolerance Nagent rim in a maximum tolerance 32-20 chamber. The average would be 0.0252" of excess headspace. But even the 0.016" minimum excess headspace is more extra headspace than a field no-go gauge will allow, so the concerns remain.

ballardw

Is this for a new rifle? Or did the brass you had wear out? I know that some of the .25-20 I shoot is using 60 year old brass...

Deltadart

The rifle is a 1892 Winchester, mfg in 1917. The brass I have (50) is new old stock I had from 30 years ago when I had a 1893 Marlin. I sold that rifle and put some of the stuff in storage. I dug that out some time ago after I picked up the rifle.

ballardw

I've pretty much every box of .25-20 brass or ammo I've seen in the last 15 or so years. I am not short of storage space by any means. I think this totals 4 boxes of brass and two of factory ammo.

The selection has varied over time. I think they are catch-as-catch-can regarding reconditioned brass and will process whatever they can get. For new brass, I don't recall anything but handgun chamberings, but I don't monitor them regularly.