25-2 good deal?

Gun 4 Fun

Hey all, I've got a chance at a S&W 25-2 in excellent shape, in the presentation box, with papers, cleaning kit, several half moon:barf: clips for $545. What do ya think? Let's hear it.

Bellevance

I've had my eye out for a nice 25-2 for a year or so now, and I've seen nothing under $700 before shipping; most are going for much more. That deal sounds superb to me. Don't hesitate! And don't sneeze at those half-moons. At that price, whatever you get in addition to the gun itself is golden.

Gun 4 Fun

The gun is tight, timed properly, and locks up like a vault. There is hardly a mark on it, though the grips aren't the ones that came on it. I took them off and looked inside and they are marked 11-1-1986. The bbl. is pinned so I have to believe that the gun was made before 1979, or '79 at the latest, since S&W dropped the pinned bbl's then.

Sarge

Given the condition, the included accessories and current pricing of pre-lock N frames- I'd say that is a bargain.

Let us know how it shoots, which I'm betting will be very well indeed.

Casimer

+1 , great price - take a look at what they're going for on GunBroker.

The one quirk w/ the 45ACP models is that they have oversized throats. So they're often less accurate w/ lead bullets. But mine's actually pretty good w/ hard cast SWCs, and it's dead-nuts accurate w/ ball ammo.

Gun 4 Fun

I will be checking the throats asap, I know some had a problem with the throats being too large. Same thing with the 25-5's. Fortunately the 25-5's I've got have good throats, .452 & .453.

Casimer

It's my understanding that the throat sizes of Model 25's of 1955 in 45ACP are an aspect of their design ( mine are ~0.456). Apparently the very late models have smaller throats, as do the 625's, but large throats are standard for any others. I've never gotten an explanation as to why S&W designed them this way. But I wouldn't let this dissuade you.

Mine's from the mid 70's and was NIB. When I'd first gotten it, the SA was mediocre and the DA was like dragging a brick over gravel. But it still shot well. So I dry fired it a bit, replaced the mainspring w/ a Wolff progressive spring, and shot a few hundred rounds of ball ammo through it. Lo and behold the action broke-in, and it became a different revolver. Now it shoots like a match pistol w/ jacketed ammo - I mean the accuracy is well beyond anything you'd typically expect from a stock handgun.

Hammer It

Hello
That price is a Steal. I Purchased this NIB Model 25-2 a Year ago for $795.00 shipped to my dealer. I could Not locate any of them in my area and all Others I had seen on the Internet averaged the $800.00 Mark. The Original Roper custom grips were aded after I got it. Hammer it

SW25-2.jpg

SW25-2Leftside.jpg

SW25-2InCase.jpg

Gun 4 Fun

Hammer It- as usual for your guns, that is one sweet looking hunk of blued steel. This gun I'm looking at looks almost as good as yours, just needs new liners in the box. They have the usual wear from keeping the gun in them.
Have you tried any of the polymer moon clips?
Also, did a guy on the S&W forum make those grips?

Hammer It

did a guy on the S&W forum make those grips?

Hello Gun 4 fun
No these are not Keith brown's grips, these are the real Mccoys being Walter Ropers grips made back in the late 1930's. I have this pair and a pair of Original Roper K-Sq Frame grips as well. I do not use anything in my 25-2 But Auto-Rim rounds.. No Muss No Fuss.. Hammer It

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
Today was the first time since I bought my 25-2 in 1981 that I heard that "…25's have a cylinder throat problem." I thought that was confined to Rugers (but not mine.)
Luckily, my guns, both S&W and Ruger, seem to have been spared that fault, since both are one-hole shooters. Against all expectations regarding the long cylinder jump, mismatched throat and barrel diameters, etc, .45 ACP revolvers seem to shoot pretty darn well.

dgludwig

It's always been my understanding that the "cylinder throat problems" associated with Smith 25/625 revolvers have mainly to do with some of those chambered in .45 Colt. Certainly my 25-2 shoots all types of .45 ACP/ Auto Rim ammunition with all kinds of bullets, lead and otherwise, splendidly.

OldCorp

Grab it. I've enjoyed mine, which is a 4".
A co-worker had it before me and was complaining about the cost to shoot it. I gave him a well-used Ruger 10/22 I had $40 in, and he gave me the M25.
I think I did OK. He was pleased to get something cheaper to shoot.

Ranger325

Well what did you decide??

I paid $650 for mine in similar condition w/box and tools a couple of years back. I love it, a real sweet shooter. It's one of the 1000 or so mis-marked roll on the barrell. No real premium, just a nice story!! ;)

Let us know and send pics.........................

Regards,

Gun 4 Fun

Well it's in layaway now. I hope to bring it home before the new dictator takes over. I'll do my best to get pictures asap.