25-06 for texas dall

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchunter

Hey guys just wondering opinions. I won a hunt for a texas dall that is coming up in two weeks. I've shot plenty of game with my 30-06 but for some reason am in love with this 25. What are your thoughts on shooting a ram with this round, or should I stick with the 30-06?

Bittervinom

The 25-06 is a necked down 30-06 casing. The round is less than a .270 but better than a .243. I have one I use on occassion for yotes and hogs. I have no complants of the rounds perforance and distance. Great round I think.

PTS1

Texas Dall weighs under 100 pounds, or less than your average whitetail. 25-06 is plenty. Have fun on your hunt!

jimbob86

Using a properly constructed bullet, it would be great for something that weighed 100 lbs...... too light and/or soft a bullet would make things messy.

If you are interested in eating this thing, I'd go with at least a 100 grain bullet, just to keep impact speeds out of the explosive range....

What range are you anticipating?

Logan9885

25-06 is the best deer size caliber you can find!! Go with the 110 gr nosler accubonds. I have taken many good size (150lbs+) deer at many different angles and ranges and it laysem flat with minimum recoil. Shoots tight and more than likely you will get a clean pass though and you have a tough enough bullet if your shot does not go exactlly where you want it to. Hope this helps and good luck!!!! Post pics when you get back!!

tchunter

I would say range is 100 yards or less. I've been shooting hornady 117gr sst superformance because this gun loves them. Any thoughts on this bullet? The gun is a tack driver with this round so I've just stuck with it.

tchunter

I do plan on shooting some hogs while I'm there, how does it perform for you Bittervinom? I will post some picks when I get back, sounds like its going to be a blast!

BIG P

117GR. SF are great on deer &hogs alike and they will make a mess with a bad hit. Shot a 300lb sow hog last weekend behind the ear at 160yds.
Blew out both eye balls. those superformance SST'S are wicked.
love My 25-06!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.