25-06, anyone?

straightShot

Well, I don't own a 25-06 REM. It's one caliber that's eluded me.

Can anyone provide some insight into its usefulness as a hunting catridge for deer?

Thanks,

straightShot

jrklaus

I don't own one either, but from what I see in the literature, it is often used as an antelope cartridge...fairly flat shooting at long ranges. I cannot think of a reason it wouldn't do as well as any other .25 for deer?

LHB1

IMO the .25-06 (one of my two favorite cartridges) is an excellent long range choice incorporating heavier bullet weights than .243/6mm's and lighter bullets than the .270/7mm's. The trajectory is terrific. I made the longest shot of my life on a mule deer in West TX using the .25-06 in a Ruger #1 rifle. Won't say my estimate of distance because didn't have rangefinder but it was across a wide valley near Valentine, TX on a ranch owned by King Ranch. The horns are on the wall above my head as I type this.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

straightShot

It sounds like I need to add this to my collection and get out and send some lead downrange. I've read about the 200 Savage bolt action being a reasonable deal, and I think that I'll pick one up in this caliber.

Shoot straight,

straightShot

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Well, you're talking a 100- or 120-grain bullet or thereabouts, zipping along pretty good. It's best known for varmints and antelope. Not so much for larger deer, but fine for most whitetails.

Seems to me that it shines brightest when the range is longer than is typical in brushy or wooded country. The .25-06 has long been known as a plains gun for the smaller deer-sized critters.

Art

priv8ter

Nice

My uncle in Texas has used a .25-06 exclusivly(how boring), for as long as I can remember,and he has dropped a disgusting number of deer, some of them repectably sized.

As I start looking for a dedicated 'deer rifle' (already having an Elk Rifle in .35 Whelen), .25-06 has made my short list. I have it narrowed down to .25-06, .260 Remington, or 7mm-08.

The only thing that worries me about .25-06, is some of the Eastern Washington mulies can be kind of big in the body. Premium bullet selection would be a must. It seems like most factory .25-06 loads are rapid expanding bullets.

greg

SUperMidget

I'll throw in my two cents I suppose.

While I've never shot a deer with a .25-06, (due to using a 6mm Rem in my younger days, and .270 on my own) My brother, brother in law, and father have used (and each own one) them for years. I don't know what you call small deer, but I've seen far to many large bodied South Dakota whitetails, some bordering on 250+ dressed, fall to the quarter bore. This in and of itself is not much, but the ranges for those shots have varied from ~75 yards out to ~450 (edge of a field along the county road out across the quarter section fence). I've also seen one take an elk or two before the old man could afford to upgrade to his 7mm Mag.

Moral of the story, as long as you are willing to put in the hours needed to become proficient, there isn't much the .25-06 can't do short of something large enough that you know requires a bit more gun.

raktrak

25-06

I have used 87 gr spbt,90 hp, 100hp,120hp,115 Ballistic Tips. My choice is the 115 Ballistic tip nowdays. I have killed a couple of hundred deer with my 25-06 and only lost one that sunk in the backwater. Most dropped instantly.:) :)

FirstFreedom

hey raktrak, handloads or factory? And 115 ballistic tip what brand? Thanks.

I bought a .25-06 for a deer rifle, and wish I'd gone with .260 or 6.5x55 instead. Still, it's a good round, and not different enough to justify the change just yet. When I get some extra money, I'll sell this one and buy another in 6.5x55 - this is in part an effort at caliber simplification, since I already reload for milsurps in 6.5x55mm. But when you really look at the ballistic numbers, the .25-06 is a little hard to justify, since an 85 gr .243 does everything a 100 gr .25-06 will do, with less recoil (except a measly 15 grs). But a 6.5mm rifle, OTOH, is a significant step up. A .25-06 would be great choice if you only have ONE rifle. If you have several, it seems less appealing, as it's a jack of all trades, master of none -- except for long range plains shooting perhaps, but this does not apply to me where I live, where it's largely wooded, and a .243 will work fine out to 250-300 yards, with 85-100 grainers, and if it's bigger deer, then a 6.5mm round at 140 gr is a *significant* step up in bullet weight, unlike .25-06. So yeah, it's a beanfield rifle, but so is a .243. Now *IF* I had the skill to hit something at 400 yards plus, AND *IF* I was heading out to plains for mule deer or antelope, then it's probably be my first choice. But neither of those 2 things are liable to happen soon. So I should have run with a 6.5mm gun, or for that matter a 7-08 or .308. But I like the reduced recoil and better BCs of the smaller/mid-range bullets. Seems to me like .260/6.5x55 hits the sweet spot for deer/antelope.

raktrak

Ballistic Tips

I handload my 115 at 51 grains of IMR 4350 and my old girl will shoot 2"at 300 yards. My 100 grains are loaded at 53.3 grains Imr 4350 both loads gently touch the lands. If I don't see pressure signs I use a Magnum match primer. Be careful and start a lot lower until you find your max.:D :D :D

FirstFreedom

2" at 300 yds, wow! That's nice. What rifle? And those 115 and 100 bal tip bullets are winchester/remington/sierra/nosler/hornady/speer/what? OK, yeah, I'd start lower on the load development, to be safe. Also, what brass?

raktrak

115 gr BT

I shoot the 115 reloaded with 51 grains of IMR 4350 and the 100 loaded at 53.3 grains IMR 4350. Both kissing the lands lightly with a magnum match primer .:D :D :D I also shoot a 6.5x55 tight neck and a 6.5x55 custom brno.;) I use Nosler ballistic tips and win brass with federal match primers The 6.5 likes Reloader 22 powder. My 25-06 has a Remington action and Shilen 26" barrel with a Brown precision stock. Remington trigger

Peter M. Eick

Love mine. Dang accurate!

25-06target.jpg

Here is 5 shots at 100 yards. I really buggered the group by misreading the wind on the last shot.

I find it just a fun cartidge to shoot. Sort of like the 30/30. It is so "American".

FirstFreedom

Peter, that is more than 5 shots, looks to me. The center of the main group is punched out, and the 4 cloverleaf holes would not have done that, unless it's rice paper. :confused:

Peter M. Eick

Remington brass
87 grn seirra spire points
wlr primers
43.2 grns imr-4064
COL of 3.250

It gave the results over the chrono of 3085+, 3012-, 73s, 3050m, 27s. My notes say it was a good mild general load.

Another really accurate load is:
remington brass,
87 grn seirra spire point
wlrm primer
52.1 grns of imr-4350
3.130 col

This gives 3216+, 3179-, 37s, 3195m, 10s. My notes say this is a "great load".