.243 Win target bullet?

jhansman

I have a .243 Win coming in and would like to load up some ammo for it when my range finally opens. Would those of you who shoot this caliber for paper punching give me an idea of what bullet performs best out of a 24" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist rate? I'm thinking 90 grain, but I'm new to this caliber and the range of bullet weights for it is broad. Will likely be starting with Accurate XMR-4350 and H 4831. Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

According to this stability estimator, a 90-grain bullet at 3100 ft/s will produce a stability factor of less than 1.4 (a minimum for target accuracy from Sierra and Harold Vaughn) in an ICAO standard atmosphere if it is more than about 1.037" long. 1.5 is commonly thought to be about the ideal, and for that, the bullet length cannot exceed 1.013". Mind you; there is an assumption in the estimator that the bullet's density is uniform, which it will not be in a hollow point so that you could get away with slightly more length in a hollow point, but not much. You can see the range just for the uniformly dense bullet in the model is tight.

Bart B.

David Tubb won matches and set records with the 243 Winchester. A few others occasionally outscored him with 243's.

Here's some good info....

https://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Its only shortcoming is barrel life's half that of the 308 Winchester.

Last edited:

jhansman

Well, based on the data for an 85 gr. bullet (I settled on the Hornady 87gr. HPBT for starters), the powders I have on order are in that table. Should prove to be an interesting project. This is the first new caliber I've taken on in almost 10 yrs. Dunno when I'll actually have the rifle in hand, as the DOJ here is now saying (what with the plague panic and all) that 10 days will likely be 20 days, or more. Thanks for all the replies. :)

std7mag

A few years ago, i was loading for my wife's Rossi R243. 23" heavy barrel, 1:10 twist.
I had bought some Hornady 105gr Match bullets on sale.
Plan was to use RL26 with them.
I loaded some up & did ladder test.
Called Hornady, as she was just getting into shooting further than 100 yards. They told me in no uncertain terms that they would not stabalize.
We had no issues with them out to 500 yards.

MarkCO

Have five of them, even won a few matches with them. My favorite powders are H4831SC and H1000. Even with a 1:10, you can shoot the 100s and 105s out to at least 600. If you want to go past that, you should probably drop back to the 95s. If you want to get the most out of your barrel, keep the velocity under 3000 regardless. Pushing 87s hard with Varget, you can literally shoot out a barrel in under 1000 rounds.

The 95 grain Nosler Ballistic tips are one of a few bullets that just seem to like all .243s. Shot 5 into 0.115" with a Tika and it was just a hunting load. 42.8 to 43.0 grains of H4831SC is right around 3000 fps and seems to just a universal sweet spot.

That 87 grain Hornady is a good bullet. I choose those for practice pushing them at 2700 fps. Lengthening the barrel life and making my practice harder. That was also the bullet that the winner of American Marksman use to get the 600 yard hit for the win and $50K. :)

ammo.crafter

Shooting a custom Mauser in 6mm with 75gr Hornady HP + IMR 4831 at about 3310./
Heavy 26 inch barrel producing .4" at 100yds.

jhansman

jhansman, What distances you plan to shoot targets?

Sorry, should have included my intended distance in my OP. I will be shooting 100 & 200 yds. (that all my local range accommodates). I've never shot over 300 yds. yet, so long distances don't hold much appeal for me. This is why asked about the projectile, and by extension, the propellant. I have high hopes for the Hornady 87gr. bullet, but as was the case with my Howa 1500 .223 Rem, it too three tries to find the bullet that performed the best at 100 yds. I've never used a tipped bullet before either, thinking that this is for hunting, no? Lots to learn....

old roper

I haven't try Hornady V-Max but have shot 87gr BT in 243 and Hornady list all 3-87gr good for varmints. Target been shooting a 90gr BT Berger bullet good in 1/10 twist barrel. Varmint been using Berger 88gr also good 1/10 twist.

I use V-Max in some of my 22 cal varmint rifles and very accurate bullet.

RaySendero

jhansman answered:
jhansman, What distances you plan to shoot targets?

Sorry, should have included my intended distance in my OP. I will be shooting 100 & 200 yds. (that all my local range accommodates). .....

Well...Then a high BC boattail bullet isn't necessary.
Go with what you already bought,
but somewhere down the line, try a flat base HP or plastic tipped bullet.
Some rifles like these better for that range.
You may just find an acorn!

mxsailor803

For bullets, something from 85-105gr would be fine. I typically use 100gr Sierras and been using them for years. For powders, I typically start off with 4064. It’s not the best for any one cartridge but can be used with good results in a bunch of them. Now I don’t typically run my rounds very hot either. Usually under the 3,000fps range. Closer to 2800fps. But that also depends on IF YOUR rifle likes it. I do use 4831 as well just to change things up a little, plus I have a massive stockpile of it from a local gun shop going out of business.

kilotanker22

I had really really good luck with the 85 grain Sierra Game Kind BTHP and H-4350 I think. Can't remember if it was H or IMR.

Shot super flat and constantly grouped in the .2's. I did have a 1:9. 1/8 twist though