243 win reformmed to 7mm-08

stillquietvoice

ive never reformmed brass before can any one guide me through the process of making 7mm-08 from 243 or 308 cases.thank you in advance for your help.

Ifishsum

For .308 cases I just lube (I use Imperial) and run them through the 7-08 die, no special steps. I don't recall if I've actually tried .243 cases but I would lube the inside of the case neck fairly generously. I'd want a stem sizer with a nice gradual teardrop shape to try it. Seems like the neck might be a little thin though

Doyle

If the fired .243 cases will fit into your chamber, then you can also fireform them to 7mm-08. Google "Cream of wheat method".

Clark

I think that 308 cases can be necked down to 260 if ~~10% with the necks too thick are culled.
I think 7mm-08 works well for necking down to 260.
I think that necking 308 down to 243 without neck turning is a bad idea.

From this we can guess that 7mm-08 is not the best for necking to 243.

You gotta watch out for neck pinching.
The SAAMI chambers are big and sloppy, but not THAT sloppy.

stillquietvoice

mobuck the reason why is in my area 7mm-08 cases loaded rounds are hard to find. the gander mountain recently set some space up for reloading. supplies are limited town will not allow them to sell powder or primers, they carry some dies not 7mm-08 no shell holders and a small selection of projectiles again nothing in 7mm. there are a few places i can obtain cimponants but cases are still an issue and have to go out of state to aquire.
the shop in ne pa even has some problems with getting some components. it wasnt like this 30 plus years ago .
also my supply of both 06 and 308 cases developed corrosion and had to be scrapped .

stillquietvoice

i tried to resize 243 to 7mm to check neck thickness it measured .308". fish in post 2 said neck might be too thin i believe he was right just had to be sure.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Note what Clark said about " if ~~10% with the necks too thick are culled." That is true any time a case is necked down any significant amount. The case neck thickens and there may not be enough room at the chamber neck for case neck expansion. That can raise pressures enough to be dangerous.

The cases don't have to be discarded, just neck turned or reamed as necessary.

Jim

F. Guffey

Note what Clark said about " if ~~10% with the necks too thick are culled." That is true any time a case is necked down any significant amount. The case neck thickens and there may not be enough room at the chamber neck for case neck expansion. That can raise pressures enough to be dangerous.

The cases don't have to be discarded, just neck turned or reamed as necessary.

I noted what Clark said. I measure before and again after. I form cases, I also neck cases up and I neck cases down. Then come the thicker and or thinner thing with the necks. When I measure before and again after I find the necks get shorter and or longer.

My case necks get shorter and or longer; does that mean they also get thicker and or thinner?

F. Guffey

NHSHOOTER

Just now checked cabela's, they have 7-08 brass, PPU PRVI Partizan Rifle Brass – 100 $53.99 per 100..not the best but much better than trying to resize 243 brass and they have hornady brass for your 7-08 for 31 bucks for 50..

Mobuck

"mobuck the reason why is in my area 7mm-08 cases loaded rounds are hard to find"

I've owned a 7mm08 for about 10 years and accumulated a sizable stock of brass buying once fired on the internet(100-200 at a time). In fact, I seldom buy brass or ammo locally.