243 Varmint Rifle Input

mt_dren

I got a 30-06 this year for deer or larger and the 788 243 is being retired. So I figure I need a good varmint rifle. I'm not looking to make shots over 300 yards. I have a ton of brass for the 243 and I am setup for reloading so I don't really want to change calibers.

I found a new Remington 700 SPS Varmint at a local shop for a bit over $500 and have been thinking about getting it and then investing in a Leupold VX3. I haven't found any other varmint rifles in 243 in town (new or used) and the 700 action is extremely popular, however I have only found a handful of reviews online for the SPS. Any suggestions in the 500-700ish range? Should I hold out for something else? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

MT_Dren

buymore

I have that exact rifle and sighted it in fianlly today after a year and a half! Yeah I really needed that rifle didn't I! well, I am very pleased with my sight in. I had sort of broken it in, but I didn't shoot it for groups until today. I was just using Federal blue box (cheapies.... 80 grns) and I have a cheap bi-pod on ti for stability. at 100 yds I can honestly say 3/4"-1" groups. For me....that's good!

My other choice when I was lookign was the Savage heavy barrel with the Accu-trigger. around the same price and better reviews, but I still went with the Remington becasue I like the tried and true 700 action, even though Remington hasn't has the best reviews lately. So far.....about 60 rds through mine and I have had no problems at all and I'm please with it. I chose the 700 over the Savage because if I needed to sell it.....the 700 will be easier to recoup my investment and there seems to be more aftermarket stuff available for them. good luck

Swampghost

I bought a slightly used one w/scope for considerbly less and it's a tack driver @ 200 yds. A guy at the range tried to talk me into shooting F class with his club, I'm just interested in meat in the freezer.

fyimo

I was interested in the Remington SPS varmint also and the main beef seems to be about stock. It seems many people don't like it and plan on changing it out after buying it. I don't buy the bad press on the Remington 700 because I just bought a CDL in 35 Whelen and it's a great shooter. If you like yhe way the SPS varmint felt in your hands then I say buy it.

The other rifle I like is the CZ 550 American and it's the original Mauser controlled feed design and comes with a great trigger and they come with scope rings.

Buzzcook

There are lots of guns to choose from. Savage is a favorite.
You might consider putting a varmint barrel on the 788. Give it a trigger job and big glass and it should be an fine varmint rifle.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I can see having a heavy barrel on a dedicated prairie dog rifle, but I don't see the point on one used for woodchucks or coyotes. You just don't shoot all that often.

Before I went away from a 788, I think I'd try some loads with 55-grain and 70-grain bullets. The 55s work for me on prairie dogs from a Sako 19" carbine, to 300 yards. I've gotten lazy about using the 70-grain Hornadys; I just use my deer load of Sierra 85-grain HPBTs on coyotes.

If the 788 doesn't give tight groups with any varmint load, then it's time to consider a different platform...

Ozzieman

I'm with Art, why retire a great gun like the 788 unless the barrel is gone then I would rebarrel it.
I made the mistake years ago getting rid of a very sweet 788 for a Ruger 77V in 6mm Rem. My mistake.
The 788 was 243 and I never got the Ruger to shoot as well as the 788 with hand loads.

Rob96

I have the Remington ADL Varmint. The same gun except with a blind magazine. Yesterday was the first day out with it. Even with the "crappy" stock I was able to get .69 MOA. I think it would have done better if I was having a better day.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've messed with bunches of rifles over the decades. I've always used lightweight barrels on my hunting guns. "It's the carrying thing." :)

I get sub-MOA groups with light barrels--but I don't try for sequential tight groups without a good cool-down time. That's why I made the comment about heavy barrels for prairie-dogging; it's common to shoot long strings.

My 77 Mk II Ruger is a light sporter in .223. Fairly light barrel. On the benchrest it's a half-MOA shooter. I've used it on prairie dogs, but I didn't shoot more than a few shots between intervals of rest and cool down. Maybe a total of 100 or 120 rounds in some five hours.

I guess that if I have a point (If I part my hair right it won't show) it's that first, figure out the use--and avoid pre-conceived notions.

BuckSlayer3

i think the 243 is overated....its hard to find ammo for it. i think you should lean towards a 223...they are very light and can still shoot far distances and i think a leopold scope would work well on it.

batman44

my 2 cents

I got a rem ADL and it would not shoot very well 1 in at 100 yd,so I had a barrel put on and had it bored to ackly .now it will shoot 3/8 or better at 100 yd and 1 ". at 200 yd
I start at 220 swift and worked up from there[43.5 gr of IMR 4895 and a 55 gr
combined technology ballistic tip].
223's are fine but at 300 at 500 yd you want something that you can hit with,
223's are for up to 350 yds reliably.And yes you can kill at 600 + with a 223 I have done it with a ar 15

Buzzcook

i think the 243 is overated....its hard to find ammo for it.

That's not a statement I can agree with. .243 is by no stretch of the imagination a rare or hard to find round. It's been around since the fifties and is supported by all most every ammo and rifle maker.
Not sure about "over rated". I suppose there are folks that claim it's the bees knees. But most people recognize it as the smallest legal round for deer in most states and as a round that works for varmints as well as medium game.
There are several cartridges that fit that role, the .243 is one of the more popular ones.

I suggested a varmint barrel for a couple of reasons. Increase velocity in a longer barrel and lower twist rate for lighter bullets. iirc the 788 has a 20" barrel and 1/10 twist.
As others have said the barrel on the 788 is fine if you plan to tote it around and shoot the occasional doggie. My recommendation was aimed at hunting from a stand and shooting at relative long distance.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
1:10 twist in a .243 works quite well for bullets of 55 to 85 grains for me. Easily and consistently sub-MOA since 1970 or thereabouts, although probably not more than 1,200 to 1,500 rounds through it. 100-grain bullets--in my rifle--haven't grouped as well.

sc928porsche

I use a 22-250 for varmits, and occaisonally 135gr Matchking in 300WM. I have to admit that there is less clean up with the 300, but after a while the sholder starts to dictate my bag limit. :)

mt_dren

Thanks

Went back to look over the SPS again and it was gone so now I have more time to look around. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and input!

MT_Dren

Rusty W

I just bought a Savage 11 .243, accustock, accutrigger, hinged floorplate because my model 12 .223 26" heavy bbl, bipod weighs about 50#'s after walking through the woods for a couple hours. I really like my new .243. I handload for it and I've found 40gr of 3031 w/ 58gr V-max, and 45gr of H414 w/ 70gr nosler BT shoot to the same point of aim and hold about a 1/2" group at 100yds. I've never owned a Remington centerfire so I can't give any suggestions there. Savage has been the best bang for the buck for me, I have 4 now, so I stick with them.

Ryder

I have the Ruger 243 Varmint rifle. Long heavy barrel. Killed more deer with it than anything else. They drop as if hit by lightening. No surprise with 1/2" MOA handloads.

Anyhow, I love the weight. No problem for me to haul around with a decent sling. Useful in heavy wind, takes a lot to buffet that gun around.

Just be careful if you trip over anything with such a long gun slung over your shoulder because it'll put your lights out. They sell for <$700.