.243 varmint loads

Deerhunter264

i want to do some varmint hunting with my .243. I want somthing that will blow things up I want a 60-70 grain bullet. Factory ammo also i dont have a loader. :cool: I want someting that will fragment on contact.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
And people down below want icewater. :D

Hey, from 85 grains on down, they're called ".243 bullets". The Sierra 85-grain HPBT spreads coyote innards over a half-acre or so. So does the 70-grain Hornady Spire Point.

And then there are the 55-grain Noslers, which do horrible things to poor, innocent prairie dogs.

I use 3031. YMMV.

:), Art

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
IIRC, Some manufacturers have "HIGH END" "CUSTOM?" rounds loaded up with the various components high end hand loaders would use. Some use the barnes while others use different brands and you may find the frag bullets in one of those lines...
Don't hold me to it cuz I don't even buy that fancy gunshop ammo... just what ever is cheapest at wally world and after a few months my ammo is so mixed up I could have 4 different bullet weights loaded at one time in the tube:eek:...
Brent

LanceOregon

The Hornady VMAX varmint bullet cannot be beat for being explosive and breaking up. I have used it in .223, .22-250, and .243 with great effect. Hornady makes a factory .243 load with their 58 gr VMAX that is rated at 3,760 fps.

Here is what a 50 gr VMAX from a .223 did to a chuck from about 200 yards away:

splat1close.jpg

The animal literally exploded, with blood spraying all over. Its body was basically broken in half. The rib cage was cracked wide open, and intestines burst right out of the animal. The animal fell off the rock it was sunning itself on, and went down into that crevice. However, in this wider view, you can see all the blood that was splattered on the rock that was behind where he was sitting:

chuck_spary.jpg

This illustrates very well how the VMAX bullet fragments into so many different pieces.

In my opinion, there is no bullet on the market today that can match the VMAX for its explosive fragmentation. It makes for very safe hunting, as there is basically no chance at all of ricochets taking place. And even a less than ideal placement of the bullet will still cause instant death, avoiding any unnecessary suffering of the game.