.243 twist

the blur

My Remington 750 has a 9-1/8" twist. 100 yards, it's OK. 2-3" groups. Enough for a deer.
200 yards, it doesn't group at all. 100 gr ammo.

What ammo weight does a 9.125 twist like?

I like the .243 100 gr for deer. The exit wound is like a meat ball. But I need to go out to 200 yards.

Brian Pfleuger

Moderator Emeritus
9 1/8 should be fine for 100gr bullets. I have a .243AI with a 9 twist and it shoots 105gr VLDs just fine. They're considerably longer (1.220) than a typical 100 (0.97-1.08").

In any case, if the bullet is stable at 100, it's going to also be stable at 200 and that twist is just about ideal for that weight.

2-3" groups at 100 is not really "OK". That's pretty lousy. Yeah, it's functional at 100 but it's not really OK. That would drive me batty.

Unfortunately, from what I've read, you probably won't get much better than 1.25-1.5" at 100 with that gun.

Unless you're a handloader, you'll have to keep trying different factory ammo until you find one it likes. Try a variety of weights. You don't need 100gr to kill a deer with a .243. I use 80gr Barnes exclusively.

JD0x0

9.125'' twist should handle most .243 ammo possibly with the exception of some 100+ grain VLD bullets which are long for weight.
2-3'' @ 100 is a bit mediocre for a modern bolt action IMO. I can't tell if it's the gun or ammo, but in this case I'd be very surprised if the twist rate is to blame. I just don't see it, that's a pretty optimal twist rate.
My ruger M77 MKII shoots factory ammo roughly .8-1.4 MOA depending on the brand. When I bought the rifle I was expecting 2'' at best, based on what people were saying on the interwebs.

Is the gun still under warrantee? You may have to contact Rem and tell them of your problem. They may fix it for you. I don't find the kind of accuracy acceptable, I'd be sending it back if it was consistently shooting 2-3'' groups with various brands of decent ammo.

mxsailor803

This doesn't sound like a bullet problem to me, could be though. Someone correct if I'm wrong, doesn't the 750 have some strange pressure points from forend to the barrel? Like its inconsistent?

FrankenMauser

There should be no problem with that twist rate, with typical 100 gr bullets, unless you're shooting them from a super-short barrel.

Sounds like a copper fouling, throat, crown, bedding*, or sighting system issue to me....

*Could be as simple as improper action screw torque.