243 ruger with 100g and 4064???

misskimo

hey, alittle deli-ma here. last month I loaded some test rounds for my ruger 77 243. well 2 weeks ago I talked my cousin into making his rounds for his winchester model 70 ( 1 &10 twist) 243 , The loads I worked up was already in question ,
returnbo with a sierra 107 g. made up 20, min to 2 gr from max. and also had some IMR 4064 with 100g hornady interlock.
then I loaded up 20 test rounds with IMR 4064 and a 90 g Nosler ballistic tip ,
I started with the 107 returnbo load first in the model 70 win, right off the bat I got a few unstable rounds, a hole that looked odd on my target, what I call a wobbler, like when a quarterback throws a long pass and it wobbles. well maybe it might work in my 77, but I just dont wont to waste time, powder and bullets if Im getting that.
then I grabbed the 90g box out and right off the bat, through the scope I see small holes, YEH! found the best group and noted it down, then I shot the 100g . also wobbled! HUH
do you think my Ruger 77 ( 1 and 9 twist)will shoot those loads that was unstable?
I have a about 85 100 g and 80 sierra bullets left, and need to find a use for them,
I have IMR 4064. IMR 4895, and returnbo, I did place an order for some more powder to try and maybe I should wait for it come in, I wish I could drive to a gun shop and buy some powder, but I have to fly to go to walmart, mac donalds, or sportsman warehouse. so I have to order it and pay 45 bucks a lb for it

Thanks T

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Heres what the newest Hornady reloading manual had to say about Retumbo on page 67: "This magnum powder was designed expressly for the really large overbored cartridges such as the 7mm RUM, 300 RUM, 30-378 Weatherby Mag. Retumbo is also comes in at number 137 (out of 144) on the burn chart which obviously means that its a slow burner. Thats not to say that this powder won't work in a .243. Obviously it does because its listed on page 83. On page 64 under "powder usage" Retumbo is listed as a "magnum powder". I always apply this rule of thumb when considering bullet and powder combos: slow burning powders for heavy bullets and fast burning powders with lighter bullets. For a .243 a 107gr bullet is a heavy bullet but it doesn't work for your rifles barrel twist. I would also check your seating depth. I've had really good results with H414, IMR 4064 and 4350 in my Ruger M77/243 under 100gr pills.

castnblast

the 107 was designed for a 1:9 twist - but retumbo is too slow for 243. Try Hodgdon Hybrid V100. I have had excellent results with Speer 100gr bullets, as in touching, and this is out of a 1:10 twist rate in my Howa 1500. Another good powder to try would be H4831, or H4350. IMR 4064 not bad either. you need to crank up the burn rate a bit, and that will solve your stability issues.

misskimo

well like I said, I tried my load that was suppose to be for 77 (1&9 twist)in a model 70 win ( 1&10 twist) 243, I wonder why hogdgon list returnbo as a choice of powder, it sounded great when shooting it. on min and max, man with the sierra 107, even with min , there isnt much room for the bullet, its full! you sure here it crunch when putting the bullet in,

Thanks

T

castnblast

I just noticed where you are from. If I were in Alaska, I'd be using an extruded powder due to your extreme temperature ranges. I'd try H4831 and H4350. 4831 works well in my 270 and 7mm rem mag -my 7mm rem is pushing a 160gr bullet. Good luck!

misskimo

well this week I might try it out if the weather is good, at least 0 and above, got a pop up tent and a heater, yeh!

Thanks yall

M.O.A.

pop up tent man u aint right lol but my 77 243 love the 100 to 80 gr bullets it should shoot the 107s but ive never done it have u tryed varget powder i have good luck so far with it sucks u have to order everything good luck