.243 Questions

applesanity

Hello brothers and sisters. My question concerns short-action "varmint" or "long-range" models. For so many brands, the chamberings will be .223, 22-250, and .308 for a particular gun. But not .243. Last I checked, .243 and .308 were supposed to be essentially the same cartridge, right? Such as Tikka t3 varmint, Weatherby Varmint, Browning A-bolt eclipse, Savage 12fvss, etc.. The exception is a few Remington 700s, Ruger MII Target, and a few other other models that are way out of my budget at the moment.

On a somewhat related topic, I'm sort of split between buying one of these affordable long heavy barrels - the savage 12v or remington 700 sps varmint.

Later, when I find more money, I could always upgrade to something better than injection molded plastic, like a Bell&Carlson or Stockade. Mcmillan or h-s is too much. While I love that savage accutrigger, the remington does have have really big aftermarket and support base. Or if any of you guys know of another model around that price range and purpose, let me know too. Long live TFL.

MDman

both the savage and 700 are great rifles, but in the long run the 700 is going to be the better buy because you can always up grade it. while not realy a varmint round 308 is going to be one of the most acurate rounds at long range. You could also consider it in 6.8 if you think is 308 over kill.

applesanity

Going .308 would save me a lot of headache, since so many more models are chambered for that. I wanted .243 because there's less recoil. Which means a longer day at the range. And I can't imagine shooting coyotes and foxes with a .308.

MDman

i agree that 308 is a bit much for the likes of foxes, seeing as I can take them with my 17hmr, and your right 243 would work just fine for things deer sized and down. 223 always a good caliber, just not thriled with the lack of range. ive just never cared for 243, not sure why

Ruger4570

The 308 is a lot more than you NEED for Coyotes, but I guess the object is to kill them, so a 458 Mag would also be appropriate, just way more than you need to get the job done and a lot more painful. I think I have shot more coyotes with my 30 carbine than anything else when I lived in Tucson. I called them in and most shots were well under 100 yards. The 243 is certainly adequate at extended ranges as Coyotes are just not all that hard to terminate. Just my opinion.

williamd

223 or 22-250 is best for coyotes in any case. 308 is overkill (no pun). Actually the high velocity 22's and good bullets will kill 'em faster! But, a 243 in most of the rifle makers you list should be readily available at new and used outlets. Like MDMan I have never been a big 243 fan though I have a couple in my safe .. a dog leg Ruger and a S&W Model C (Gustaf). Always considered the 243 an 'in between' calibre that won't do for much big game and is too much for varmints. But, when I lived in TX I admit to carrying 244 for those little deer. And, it served just fine.

Yes, the 243 is a skinny necked 308, like its fat necked brother, the 358. You can form one case from the other with some success.

MDman

that time I shot that squirrle off a tree with my 175 lb pull cross bow with small game tips and literaly tore it in two...that was over kill, i lost the bloody bolt

Trapper L

If you have intentions of carrying the rifle to hunt, you don't want a heavy varminter. I would suggest looking at the Remington Model 7. It's light, darn accurate, good trigger, and can be had in calibers like 7-08 and the 243. If you intend to table hunt, the heavy guns are great but they're too darn heavy to carry. The lighter barrel rifles will cool faster as well. My.02

applesanity

Mostly it will be for long range practice, and not so much a "spend a few days in the mountains" hunting gun. Although the occasional trip to the boonies for small predators would be nice.

A gun I saw that I really liked was that Steyr SSG. At least until I saw the pricetag. Oh, and I'm boycotting Steyr.

there is no such thing as overkill.

Since I intend on shooting lots of rounds at the range, recoil becomes an issue. And the Army decided 7.62 NATO was overkill.

garryc

And the Army decided 7.62 NATO was overkill.

Actually Macnamera decided on the M-16 platform and the 223 for economic reasons. He used an ignorant reason of wounding ability to justify it. It was money people, just plain old money. That CSer should be dug up and shot.

FirstFreedom

I too find it quite weird that several makers of rifles chamber, in their "varmint" or "target" models, the .22-250, and .308 win, but not the .243win or .260 rem, which are both more suitable for varmints than .308. CZ, for example, has a rifle called "varmint" that is chambered ONLY in .308. Makes no sense to me either. The .22-250 makes sense, but not the .308, and not the lack of .243, 6mm rem, .257 Roberts, and .260 Rem offered in those models.

Charshooter

308 case

All these 243, 260, 7-08, 338 and 358 and calibers now available on the 308 case. They are all good for what they are intended. The 243 has its advantage as the dual purpose rifle, varmint and deer rifle that will shoot plains antelope well, the 260 and the 7-08 are both better than the 243 for the heavier stuff and of course, the 308 is about the finest one that the military came out with. Also the heavies, I know the 358 will take anything at proper distances. I assume the 338 is similar.

Of all I like the 260 Rem and the 308 Win the best and that is what I have, like most men, I favor what I like and own, call it human nature.

dgc940

You ever shot a .243 with a 55grn pill? Its a copper super bullet like the swift 3900 plus fps with hand loads. Ever heard of short barrel life on the 22-250?
well let me tell ya a 243 shooting 55/60/70 gainers has it beat on short life!
Have you ever shot a 308 win? I like varmint and paper hunting and with the
.308 I dont like the recoil when doing lots of shooting! And I dont like .204 .223 and such nothing wrong with them I'm just a middle of the road guy!
my 22-250 can be loaded hot or mild and fits my niche perfect.
As far as the .17 hmr been there done that! Built myself a tack driver and sold it Not enough bang flop power for me and the arc of the ballistics is not for me zero at 150 and its way off at 50 zero at 50 and its way off at 150! RIMFIRE SENDROM. And you better be really good at reading the wind!
But let me tell you a .243 and 22-250 loaded hot is 1 loud bang.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
If you find a make and model that suits, a dealer can always get one in whatever caliber the factory offers, even if it's not in stock.

I've always liked the .243 for varmints and deer. It's an easy cartridge for handloading; many good bullets out there. IMR 3031 is a good powder for it.

My particular toy is an old Sako Forester carbine. Seven pounds, total weight with scope, sling and ammo. 19" barrel. It always has given five-shot groups of 5/8 to 3/4 MOA. It's pretty easy to hide three shots behind a dime.

Art

MrGee

applesanity

middle of the road would best, 700 / 243 .. tools do a certain job a 3lb slegHammer for a 2" finish nail or a tinkertoy hammer for 16penny nail ain't the best way to go, but a nice 12-14oz hammer 'could' do the job better then the extremes .. just my observation from all good info given here for your wants/needs.. plus at a guess maybe has the best resale

USNairman

Hello First, Not trying to nit pick but:) ... CZ does offer the "varmint" in many other calibers than just the .308., it is offered in .223, 22-250, 204, 22 hornet, and was in the 17rem but I believe they discontinued that caliber. And I'm not referring to the rifles with the heavy barrels but to the rifle that CZ calls the "varmint". I wish they still made the varmint with the laminate stock and side vent holes in 22 hornet. My buddies is a tack driving machine and super sharp to look at.

FirstFreedom

USN, not to nitpick :) , but the CZ website shows that the 550 "Varmint" is available *ONLY* in .308 win, see?:

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=20

Now the 550 "Varmint Laminated", mind you, comes in .22-250 as well as .308, but not the "Varmint".

True enough that the varmint designation is used in rimfires and the short action calibers in the 527, like .223, .204 ruger, .221 fireball, etc., but I was speaking of true "full-sized" short action rifles (i.e. the CZ 550), since we were talking about the .308 and .243 - centerfire rounds that won't fit in the 527 and other micro/mini actions. So we're both right, really. :)

I guess a fair amount of varminters load the .308 win up with 100-110 grain screamers to blast pdogs, or any bullet weight for yotes - probably gives less bbl wear than something like the .243 with 60-70 grainers.

Either that or they are really catering to the "sniper/tactical" crowd, but for political correctness reasons, want to refer to their rifles as "varmint", rather than sniper/precision/tactical, when offering the varmint only in .308 - I dunno.

USNairman

Ok sounds fair, we'll both be right on this one.:p Up until a couple of years ago you could even get the Varmint laminate in 243 too. CZ is very well known to change things up a bit and offer small test runs of different firearms. I have came across unusual CZ firearms a few times that I never knew existed. Keeps a guy on his toes though trying to keep up with all of their offerings.