243 necks keep splitting

Hey guys I have a 243 savage for my son and every time we shoot it. almost 25% of the necks split. even on New brass. we load IMR4350 35 grn and use hornady 100 gr sp interlock. we also tried IMR 4838 38 grn with Hornady 105 gr A MAx and only a few split. we used IMR 4895 31.5 with Nosler, speer and hornady 100 grn bullets and the same thing most all was new brass. I’m stumped. I think or am I over looking some thing simple, the brass was Winchester brand. and rem. :confused: thanks for any help Jim W

Ruger4570

It is hard to tell from here, but, I would guess one of two things. You might have an unusually large neck diameter in the chamber and the necks can't strech enough not too split. You may be reloading the cases with a neck sizer that closes the necks down far more than needed and consequently work hardening the necks. If it is the latter, it is easy enough to anneal the necks to soften them. Hope this helps some and good luck with it.

Ruger4570

It is hard to tell from here, but, I would guess one of two things. You might have an unusually large neck diameter in the chamber and the necks can't strech enough not too split. You may be reloading the cases with a neck sizer that closes the necks down far more than needed and consequently work hardening the necks. If it is the latter, it is easy enough to anneal the necks to soften them. Hope this helps some and good luck with it.

Wiskers

Howdy,
I have been experiencing splitting necks with Winchester brass ( all the newest brass just purchased ) in 204, 223wssm, & 243. I have purchased a good bit of rem.,hornady, nosler & not one of all those split. Most of the problems were in the 204 brass, which after being full sized, trimmed, chamfored, neck thickness checked, & then rechecked, ( this drove me crazy ) the shoulders collapsed while trying to seat the bullets ( Measured all the diameters ). Most collapsed or split in the first 1/8 th inch. Out of 100 new win. brass I had 37 pcs that split or collapsed, the remaining ones I anealed, which I believe should have been done in the manufacturing process. Anealing was the answer, I think there is no quality control, with the people processing their brass, just bean counters, take your money & run, people will still buy based on their past reputation. From that day on I will not buy new Win. brass unless its the last resort, Atleast you can see evidence of the anealing process on the inside of Rem.necks. And that`s my 2 cents.

Wiskers

918v

If you are collapsing your shoulder upon seating, then you are sizing your neck way too tight.

Ruger4570

Wiskers: I don't know if Win anneals their cases or not, but if you have a large quantity of them, why not do it yourself and at least preserve those that you have. I agree with the "beancounter" mentality too, but we all know that is what business has fallen into of late.

brickeyee

"think we are crimping to tight"

UNless you have a scpecail reaon to crimp, don't do it for rifle cases.
Bottlenecked cases are not normally belled to seat bullets and crimping is not normally required (and requires a lot of trimming to get even crimpls anyway).

You should measure some fired cases and see what diameter they are expanding to.

The chamber may be loose or the die may be tight. Either will overwork the brass very quickly.

Harley Quinn

WingstotailsTaxiderm

You have received some good advise. Keep us posted.

If the factory ammo is not spliting then you are probabaly resizing incorrectly.
If it is a bolt and not the lever. Only resize the neck and don't crimp and see what happens.

If it is the lever still do the same and feed one at a time, I would do that on the bolt also, till you get it fixed. They may be harder to feed but should still be ok if you are not over pressured.

Good luck.
HQ

I microde the necks and they aren’t even the size they should be. I guess a .243 win neck is .276 and these that are split are only .269 so my guess is I’m sizing those WAY to small thanks guys I’m going to try all your advice and let you know thank you again. JimW