.243 for deer or pig

kcub

I was never too impressed with the .243 though it certainly would work if placement was perfect. It just never killed with as much authority as the other deer gun calibers from .257 Roberts on up. That was then. Have more modern bullets made it better? I would think with something along the lines of a Nosler partition one could use it with more confidence. I figure someone around here would know.

I'd rather have a .6.5 Creedmore or .260 but guns in lefty bolts are non existent and .243 ammo is ubiquitous though there is no good reason for it that I know of.

But I can get a Ruger Hawkeye .243 lefty for $499 at CDNN.

KenL

My son killed several whitetails when he was a little fella using a 243 and factory loads. They were either Hornaday or Federal, don't remember right now. 100 grain bullets, the deer never went far.

dahermit

It just never killed with as much authority as the other deer gun calibers from .257 Roberts on up.
How do you know that? Have you shot deer with all the cartridges from .257 Roberts on up and observed the result? Which ones killed good even when the placement was not perfect?

kcub

I've seen more wounded deer with .243 than anything else being 257 Roberts, 7x57, 6.5 Swede or Mannlicher Schoenaur, .270, 308, 30-06, 7mag, 257 w mag. I imagine a 7-08 would be about the same as 7x57.

I've hit running deer and African antelope with an 06 midships or worse and taken the animal. No way in hell would that work with .243

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The two dozen bucks I tagged via my .243 were just as dead as the two dozen bucks I tagged via my .30-'06. :)

In general, there is a high degree of success with the .243 with bullets of 95 to 105 grains. (Both at an old-days deer lease and numerous TFL/THR comments.)

I'm quite picky about shot placement, but I use a "blow-up" bullet: The Sierra 85-grain HPBT. I only take neck shots or cross-body heart lung shots and generally within 200 yards. So far, no tracking ever required.

kcub

My dad made some miracle long range running shots with a Sako .257 Weatherby magnum; but he was using Nosler partition bullets. So based on that observation I'm wondering if the same bullets bring the .243 up to the next level.

natman

Rick Jamison (Shooting Times) has a oft repeated story about a big buck he nailed twice with a 243 that went on to be shot and claimed by other hunters. Page 59 "Rifleman's Handbook":

"I couldn't help feeling that a cartridge with more punch would have anchored the buck sooner."

Jamison is a big fan of the 243 *for varmints*, in fact he considers it the ultimate coyote cartridge.

Finn Aargard (NRA Field Editor)

Aargard wrote an excellent article called "The 243 for Big Game".
Page 101 "Hunting Rifles and Cartridges.

"[If you need a varmint / deer rifle] ..trying to make a varmint cartridge work on big game is going at it the wrong way around. It would be far better to choose a cartridge for the largest game he intended to hunt with it, the develop a load for it that would work on varmints."

"...the 6mms are essentially varmint cartridges. With the right bullets and careful shooting, they can be made to perform fairly satisfactorily on big game up to perhaps 200 lbs live weight. But why choose a cartridge that is only 'fairly satisfactory' when other cartridges are readily available in rifles that are just as light and have no more kick than those for the 243?"

It's entirely possible to take a buck cleanly with a 243. But the odds of the cartridge letting you down are higher than they would be with something with a bit bigger bullet.

There are lots of things that can go wrong when hunting. But there is one thing you have complete and total control over: what rifle, cartridge and bullet you use. Use the most powerful cartridge you can shoot well that's reasonably suited to the game.

AllenJ

Using the right bullet and putting it in the right place is paramount no matter what cartridge you choose to hunt with, and with the .243 or any smaller caliber it is even more important. Premium bullets have made what some call "marginal" calibers better but a gut shot is a gut shot and no matter if it's .338 or .243 the animal is still going to suffer and maybe get away. As Art said, choose your shot wisely and good results are sure to follow.

Rmart30

Ive killed more critters with a 243 and a 7-08 than any other calibers excluding 22 rimfire.

Im very picky on my shots and double lung deer. Between those 2 with my shots averaging about 100 yards (nothing over 200) the 7-08 seems to put them down a fair amount quicker.

On hogs either caliber mentioned works fine for me but I only head shoot hogs now after watching a 350# boar take a broadside lung shot and run off never to be found.

Thump em under the ear and they lay right down.

kraigwy

I cant believe the stuff I'm reading here.

I've seen more wounded deer with .243 than anything else being 257 Roberts, 7x57, 6.5 Swede or Mannlicher Schoenaur, .270, 308, 30-06, 7mag, 257 w mag. I imagine a 7-08 would be about the same as 7x57.

I've seen and put down a lot of wounded game shot with everything under the sun. It tells me people should spend a bit of time learning how to instead of what to shoot.

I've hit running deer and African antelope with an 06 midships or worse and taken the animal. No way in hell would that work with .243

No way in heck would I shoot at a running antelope (or any other game). Antelope are fast critters. Running 20-30 MPH, or 29.4 to 44.1 fps.

The time of flight of a 30 cal bullet at 300 yards is about .365 seconds.

So while the bullet is in flight the animal can cover from 10.5 to 16 feet.

How many here can determine the speed of a running antelope, whether its 20 or 30 miles per hour? That would mean a difference of about 5.5 feet difference in lead.

Now as too the 243, its an excellent deer rifle. I don't have one but the wife does. Bullet selection is important but knowing how to shoot is critical.

My wife shot a young buck yesterday using 87 gr. Bergers. Berger hunting bullets are totaling devastating. They are designed to inter a few inches and come apart destroying the nervous system . They do that. The deer she shot yesterday had an exit wound I could (and did) stick my fist in. It did a summer sault and twitched. Only 68 years, but three days ago she got her antelope with the same gun/bullet, 358 yards. Same thing, huge exit wound.

Both critters were holding still. The reason the 243 works is she can shoot. (just completed the Gunwerk's long range shooting class last summer). But more important, she practices.

In addition to bullet selection you have to know the limitations of the bullet. For example, according to the Berger engineers the remaining velocity of their Hunting Bergers need to be at least 1800 fps (at the target) to work effectively. With my wifes rifle/ammo that would be a 700 yards max range.

I'm not condoning shooting antelope at 700 yards. That is dependent on the shooter. But I've seen enough 243s fired at 1000 yard rifle matches to know they are plenty accurate enough. Its the shooter that's the weak link.

The OP mention deer and hogs. I haven't hunted hogs. I know they have a different nervous system then deer so the Berger type bullet may not work. I would think you would need a heavier, bullet designed to expand and penetrate. I'll leave that topic to those who hunt hogs.

But as to my main complain, I've seen more critters wounded and muffed shots from heavier guns because people do (my self include) get punch drunk and flinch, and because of that don't do the practice they need to shoot accurately.

Anyway this is the results of an 87 gr. Berger in a Model 70 243 on antelope.

Shot%20damage.jpg

T. O'Heir

Not a lot of difference between a .257 Roberts and a .243 with like bullet weights. Just 119 fps with 100's and IMR4350(max loads).
Said bullet has to be a deer bullet for either.
"...lefty bolts are non existent..." Buy the thing and use it for a build if you don't like the .243. No left handed Hawkeyes in .243 on Ruger's site. Mind you, their LH American's MSRP is $459.

Saltydog235

I've killed a truckload of deer with a .243. 90grn NBT smoking out at 3300 or so. Put it in the right spot and they drop like they got pole axed. Same load will scramble a hog's brains.

RJM

.243 is my preferred round for the deer around me...it also works great on the coyotes who come by when waiting for the deer.

Sgt Pepper

Seems like you already have the answer to your "question". Like many of the others, I have found the .243 Winchester to be a fantastically effective deer, feral hog, coyote, and varmint killer. It is not a big game cartridge, but none of the animals that I've mentioned are big game (unless you come across hogzilla, I guess). Yes, there are .243 bullets for every type of game found within the borders of Texas. That being said, if you don't think it's going to work, then don't use it or you will invariably just meet your own *prediction*.

kcub

The antelope I shot was on the open plains, a waterbuck or a reedbuck I believe, 3 - 400 pounds. We needed the meat and he wasn't going anywhere, we could drive up on him pretty quick. No regrets.

I think the .243 is ok with good bullets that hold together well. I think the .30 06 can do it with any garden variety soft point of at least 150 grains.

SARuger

To me the .243 is the perfect all around rifle for hunting the fields here in SWVA. Deer, coyote, groundhog, my son has killed a turkey with his Savage Axis .243, I'm sure a hog will drop with one as well.

Its my go to if i'm hunting along corn/hay fields.

I prefer something heavier for the brush/woods like my .44 SBH or slug gun. The 30-06 or 30-30 is the best in and out of the woods mixed hunting IMHO.

dahermit

I think the .243 is ok with good bullets that hold together well.
Sounds like supposition to me...unless of course you have shot a lot of deer with a .243 with bad bullets that did not hold together but still recovered the deer and did an examination on them.

In my experience, with a 6mm Remington (a slight difference with the .243) using 87 grain Hornady bullets (a varmint bullet), my nine or so deer kills, all behind the shoulder at standing deer, put them down almost instantly. I would often find the bullet jackets but the bullet cores would penetrate completely.

In my youth I had read (no internet, just magazines), that varmint bullets "blew-up" when they hit and combined with the concept that chest of a deer is not substantial, the varmint bullet would "blow-up" and spray the vitals with bits a pieces of the bullet, effecting a rapid kill. The theory proved wrong, the bullets did not "blow-up", just lost their jackets but nevertheless, were very good killers. So , I stayed with the Hornady 87 grainers when I used the 6mm. I have also used .444 Marlin, .41 Magnum, .308 Win., .257 Roberts (many deer), .30-06, 7x57 Mauser, .303 Brit., .32 Win. Spl., .375 Win., 16 guage with #1 Buck, 12 gauge with #4 Buck (many deer) and they all killed deer adequately. When someone states that a certain cartridge is not a "good choice" to use on deer, for me it begs the question: What is the minimum cartridge for deer and being of a scientific mind, more importantly, how did/do they determine that?

kcub

It absolutely is supposition. That's why I started this thread.

I'm not worried about the picture perfect standing broadside shot. I'm thinking about the less than perfect shot at the biggest effing buck I've ever seen before he gets away. Maybe I am talking myself out of a .243 for possibly serious purposes.