243 ammo

JKump

I have a NEF 243 ultra lite Handi Rifle that I have been hunting Georgia deer with. I have been using Hornady 100 gr. BTSP lite mags. I have been reading on several forums and different thread that alot of people use either a 95 gr. or 85 gr bullets in their 243. What is you bullet choice with a 243 and why? As a side note I do not hand load so I have to use factory ammo.

ForksLaPush

Oddly enough, I handload and prefer to use hornady 100 grain BTSP to try to duplicate the Hornady light mags.
I don't own a chronograph, but it feels to me like the most powerful factory .243 ammo I have tried. 3000 FPS is right at the upper end of the data for the 100g in the Hornady reloading handbook, so that is probably where they are loading the "light mags". In my experience, a front quartering shot this fall broke a deer's shoulder and came out breaking a rib on the other side. The exit hole was plenty large and the deer dropped straight down.

JBP

I have a .243 NEF Handi Rifle. I usually shoot either 100gr or 95 gr out of it. Anything under 95gr and the groups start opening up.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I've found that the Federals with the Sierra 85-grain HPBT are as accurate as my handloads. Five-shot groups of 7/8 MOA are pretty much the norm. Years ago I used the Horndady 70-grain Spire Point as a varmint load, but got lazy and just stay with the 85-grain Sierra.

I guess I'm just over 20 deer with the 85. Mostly neck shots, and mostly smallish CenTex whitetails dressing out at most 120; more commonly, 90 to 100 pounds. And, I generally got shots inside of 200 yards...

Art

Jseime

people have different opinions

i used 100 grain nosler partitions for big mulies and they worked quite well but this year i hope to have another .243 again and i would use a 90-95 grain bullet

Big Yac

I find out of my Winchester Model 70, I get the best results with the Federal Cassic ammo. Its an 80gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullet. Very accurate out to 300 yards or so.