24 inch barrel Winchester 92

Deaf Smith

Gang,

I found this Winchester 92, 24 inch barrel, in .44/40.

Now the barrel has been reblued and the stock is pitiful with no butt plate.

Rifling is good. It does function with ammo, I did lever some through it.

Is it work $500?

I know the reblue destroys collector value but is it still a good buy?

Thanks,

Deaf

eastbank

to me it would, even after adding wood it would be a good shooter.and you could still sell it as a shooter. eastbank.

PetahW

A gennie .44-40 Model 92, in excellent original condition would usually bring over $2K, since the .38-40 & .44-40 are worth much more (and more in demand) than the two smaller chamberings (.25-20 & .32-20).

Given that, a reblued shooter is generally worth a bit under 50% that of the above - so anything under $1K is very fair; a $500 price tag makes me ask why it hasn't been jumped on yet........ :confused:

Deaf Smith

Well actually I have the gun.... but I have not bought it yet from the guy.

He want's $500 and he said I could pay when I could.

So (we are friends) I'm checking the gun out. I just bought (choke choke) a box of Winchester factory 44/40 softpoints for a real outrageous price (65 BUCKS for 50 rounds.)

Tomorrow I shoot the gun.

But if it really is a $1000 piece (or even $700) and it shoots on and functions perfectly, yea I will get it.

And I will reload for it! Sure can't afford ammo at that price.

Deaf

Deaf Smith

Well it shot perfectly. I do mean perfectly. With 44/40 factory 200 grain loads at 25 yards it made almost one ragged hole. Recoil was negligible.

But there is NOT ONE WINCHESTER MARK ON THE GUN.

In fact, no markings.

My research shows Winchester made some for retail outlets and the outlets did not want any logos on them.

I checked with my local feds and they said those made before the 1935 act were no problem.

So I'm ok and the game is on! Next is a new stock as this one is falling apart.

Deaf

Ibmikey

Winchester marked the tang on 92's, the serial number will tell if it is a Winchester and the year made. Bottom of the barrel near the receiver should be the caliber marking and date prroduced.