24/7 CC

9ballbilly

First let me thank the folks who responded to my poll regarding in home carry or staged weapons. Some mentioned that I left out "both" or "neither" as a choice. I did that on purpose because I wanted to hear from people who had made that particular choice since it applied to what I was thinking about.

to be honest I haven't carried regularly since my time as a LEO. My nightstand gun usually remained in place unless I was going out at night, into the woods, or to an unfamiliar area. After much thought and a two week trial period I have made the decision to once again carry 24/7. I have come to believe that this makes the most tactical sense as an attack can happen anywhere. I think the anti-gun bunch has made a decisive effort to portray legally armed citizens as "paranoid" or "trigger-happy". I am neither. The logic of carrying always seems undeniable, and my decision is made. The idea that a loaded, unlocked firearm should ALWAYS be in the direct control of the responsible owner is convincing enough to have helped guide my decision. All but one nightstand gun are locked in the safe unless in use, still there is an exterior door between my living room and my nightstand and it is remotely conceivable that someone could possibly get between me and it at a very inconvenient time. I'm simply removing this from the equation. As PAX pointed out in her response, there is no more mysticism in having a gun on one side of my belt as there is in the Leatherman on the other side. Having said all that and thanked you for the responses, let me now ask another question addressing the "Two is one-one is none" concept. Of the people that carry 24/7, what are your thoughts on carrying a BUG?

TailGator

I carry an extremely reliable semi with a backup magazine (and that as much for magazine failure as for extra capacity). I don't carry a BUG. I would have to go to an ankle holster to fit one in. I am not critical of those carry a BUG, but it doesn't work out for me.

Koda94

just my opinion...

for the LEO or other armed professional maybe, but as a private citizen no. I cant imagine carrying all that hardware on my person day to day, with all the other items keys, phone, wallet....
My main concern is to remove myself from any situation, a spare mag (or two) would be of much more value than a BUG.

RBid

I don't carry a BUG, but I have considered carrying a second firearm for a very specific reason: extremely cold weather carry. Most of the year, I can draw my firearm cleanly and quickly from where it rides IWB. When I wear my heavy winter coat, access is dramatically slowed. Having a J Frame or G26 in an exterior pocket would fix the draw time, and work fine at distances where time doesn't permit access to an IWB firearm.

I'm not philosophically against BUG carry. If a person can comfortably and securely carry one, I see no reason why doing so would be a bad thing.

tony pasley

About 14 plus years ago I carried a back up when I traveled to large cities for working It used the same mags as primary so only 1 cal. ammo and 1 type mags. It was a just in case something happened. I would be gone for at least a week at a time and no where near home so what I took with me was what I had.

pax

Most of the time, I carry only one gun. But it's long been my opinion that there are a few specific circumstances where carrying more than one makes good sense.

1) If you often practice alone in isolated rural environments, it's handy to have a concealed or open carried defense gun that remains loaded and ready regardless of the status of the gun you're using for practice. Depending on what you're practicing (working from a draw etc), that might end up being the functional equivalent of carrying two guns.

2) If you're married to someone who can shoot and who has no philosophical problem with using a gun for self defense, but who doesn't personally carry a gun, it may make sense for you to habitually carry an extra for your spouse in case you get into trouble when you're together.

3) If you prefer to carry a low-capacity gun with a slow loading sequence (eg a small frame revolver), it might be wise to use Jim Cirillo's preferred method for reloads.

pax

dayman

I only carry the one gun.
Most of the time I carry a spare mag, or speed strip, but the odds of both needing a gun, then needing immediate access to a second gun are low enough that I don't see the need.
Also, I had a hard enough time finding an acceptably comfortable/concealable CCW/Holster combination for one gun.

I do - on occasion - have a second gun in the car. And both my CC and my "nightstand gun" are kept in the same quick access safe by the bed. But I'm not sure that's what you were asking about.

ClydeFrog

BUGs....

Back ups or BUGs are a smart idea for any sworn officer or armed professional.
My state, by law, does not allow concealed weapons for armed security, :mad: . But you can carry up to 2/two loaded firearms(holsters/open carry).

A good plan is to carry a semi auto pistol then pack the same brand/format in a sub compact(back up). That way, you can deploy a full size or extended pistol magazine in either weapon. ;)
Like a Glock 22 .40S&W with a Glock 27 as a BUG.
Or a compact P250 9mm with a sub-compact 9mm as back-up.

A simple DA only or DA/SA(shrouded hammer) .38spl +P can be useful too.
Working cops & big city police detectives often put a 5 shot J frame or .380acp PPK pistol in the side pocket of a trench coat or heavy jacket.

A new line from a firm called Sticky offers holsters that fit sub compacts or snubs for pockets, ankle rigs, purses or body armor.

ClydeFrog

PawPaw

OP said:
let me now ask another question addressing the "Two is one-one is none" concept. Of the people that carry 24/7, what are your thoughts on carrying a BUG?
I don't bother with a BUG. After several years of trying different things, I've settled on the simplest approach, which is simply to drop a J-frame in my pocket. I don't carry 24/7, simply because my wife says it's a distraction in the bed, so I carry 18 or 19/7.

I've tried carrying every way you can imagine. I live in an open carry state, so I've carried open, I've carried OWB, I've carried IWB, I've carried strong-side, appendix and SOB. I've even carried a 7.5" Ruger Blackhawk concealed. I'm saying all this not because I'm an expert, but because I've tried it all, and I know what works for me. I've carried autos and revolvers and after all the nonsense, what works best for me is a simple J-frame dropped in my pants pocket.

On the other hand, I've got a buddy, also a retired cop, who never leaves home without at least two handguns on his person. I ran into him at an auction last week and he had the most Gawd-awful huge cell phone case you've ever seen. Turns out, he was carrying a Kel-tec in there. Along with a small .22 revolver in his pants pockets and a small Glock in his jacket pocket.

I'm not going to try to convince you either way. You've got to find out what works for you.

leadcounsel

Have to say I'm amazed at the lengthy decision making process for a former LEO to carry concealed.

I sort of feel that people who chose to not own guns, or not carry, tend to be naïve and wishful thinkers. But with the amount of violent crime and unsavory people LEO are exposed to, it seems like a no-brainer to me. Not even really an "IF" but "where and what" to carry.

As far as a BUG. Generally, no. I understand the merit. But it's just too much for such a terribly remote need. The exception is for road trips and overnight stays. The further and longer from home, the more gun/ammo I bring. Long gun comes along with long road trips.

JimmyR

pax said:
2) If you're married to someone who can shoot and who has no philosophical problem with using a gun for self defense, but who doesn't personally carry a gun, it may make sense for you to habitually carry an extra for your spouse in case you get into trouble when you're together.

This is my main reason for carrying a BUG. My wife has not applied for her LTCH, and while she isn't a huge fan of guns, she appreciates the potential for their use, and I trust her to treat them with the utmost safety.

That said, I will also carry a BUG when travelling long distances, often to make drawing a weapon easier from any position. My favorite way to carry for long trips is my Primary weapon carried IWB on my strong side hip, with a BUG on my ankle. Ankle carry is almost silly when standing, but is a smooth draw when drawing while seated in a car.

9ballbilly

Have to say I'm amazed at the lengthy decision making process for a former LEO to carry concealed.

Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I thought in my OP. The decision I was wrestling with was not whether to carry or not, but rather whether to carry sometimes or always. You may find it interesting that the Chief I served under (also retired here in FL) never carries. I also know a retired NYSP sgt. who doesn't. I suspect this may be an attempt in some way to leave some of the "ugliness" we saw behind. Maybe we just didn't want to think about those things anymore. While in active service our Chief would reprimand any Officer, on or off duty, who wasn't always armed, no excuses accepted.

Anyway, I've made the decision to again carry 24/7 and am now trying to decide if that should include a BUG. Due to the climate here and my retired status I'm leaning toward no, but willing to listen to arguments either way. I don't give undue credence to this or any online forum but sometimes members here have pointed out aspects or perspectives on subjects that hadn't occurred to me. thank you for your time and input.

Nanuk

For everything but the hottest weather or around the house I carry a primary and 2 reloads and a BUG with 1 reload.

Lately it has been my 629 PC and a S&W Shield. I carry the primary in a shoulder rig and the BUG floats but is usually AIWB.

I was an LEO for 32 years and still contract. I worked big cities and remote areas both.

camsdaddy

While it may seem intersting that former or current law enforcement choose not to carry. Of most of the retired guys and active duty I know most dont carry. I would think far more would especially in a small town where they are bound to run into folks they have arrested. On the other hand the ones I know that do carry on their own time either carry an LCP or the other end of the spectrum of a Glock 17, 3 mags, a 642 3 speed strips etc etc.

redhologram

It's situational on whether or not I carry a BUG.
When I travel, yes.
When I am on my range, I am generally alone, yes.
If in the rare instance I go somewhere at night (mall, Wal Mart, etc), yes

Daytime at home or around local, no, just my one cc is on me with a spare mag.

treg

1) If you often practice alone in isolated rural environments, it's handy to have a concealed or open carried defense gun that remains loaded and ready regardless of the status of the gun you're using for practice. Depending on what you're practicing (working from a draw etc), that might end up being the functional equivalent of carrying two guns.

So I'm not the only one! Under the right (wrong) conditions one could be extremely vulnerable to a sneak attack - unarmed BG is attracted to gunfire or happens upon you and seeks an opportunity to arm himself.

I also CC a small pistol for SD in addition to the long gun when driving to (as opposed to walking or horsebacking to) public land to hunt. Parking spots tend to attract BG's. Since we must unload and encase all long guns for vehicular transport there is a period of vulnerability that BG's have been known to exploit. When on foot or horseback contact with strangers is avoided.

Most other times I feel that one CC, OC or long gun is enough.

Last edited:

dayman

Why not just an extra mag at the range? I have my 2 jhp loaded "SD" mags and my stack of fmj "range" mags. I bring both when I go out to shoot.
It seems easier than a second gun.

Last edited:

pax

Easier, yes.

Also slower and less reliable. If -- for example -- you're practicing malfunction clearances, you may have a disabled gun at the moment you most need it. Keeping the defense gun loaded and ready to go, hidden on your belt, avoids that problem.

pax