22TCM9R anyone?

tangolima

Saw a conversion barrel for my Glock 23. When all said and done I will be out $200 before I get to fire the first shot (I will need to buy other stuff to get my handloading going for this new caliber).

To be or not to be? Thanks for your inputs.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

stagpanther

I'd do that sooner than buy an RIA; but I don't have either in TCM. I've done other Glock conversions and usually the conversion is nothing more than pop the barrel and maybe new springs. The only thing I would be concerned about is the "ergonomics" of a pointy-headed cartridge being fed--glock has a pretty high angle ingress from the magazine. I'd guess that's not an issue if the barrel is offered.

jetinteriorguy

I have a RIA 1911 with both 9mm and .22TCM barrels and shooting the TCM is literally a blast. It sounds like a rifle and shoots a huge fireball for fun. But to be honest, if it weren’t for the 9mm version I wouldn’t keep the gun. IME I sure wouldn’t spend $200.00 just for the thrill of shooting the .22TCM.

bbqncigars

I have almost too many other pistols to shoot 9mm in. The TCM is a fun range blaster that is cheaper to shoot (reloads) than my PMR30 with an even bigger fireball. WHEEEE! I have a sneaky hunch that ammo/brass availability may go away soon if it hasn't already.

tangolima

Thanks guys. My Glock 23 shoots 3 different calibers already. May just have one more. There isn't practical need really. 22 TCM sounds fun and different. But it is actually more expensive and restrictive to handload. There are limited selection of bullets.

Sounds like it is loud and powerful but with little recoil. I'm tempted.

-TL

Nodak1858

I bought one for my 19. Not 100% why I did but it's a fun little round. it reminds me of reloading for my 7.62x25 guns, kind of a pain but oh well I didn't get into reloading to relieve stress.

DaleA

If your okay with the Glock grip, and it seems like you are, then go for it. Sounds like a fun project and an interesting cartridge although my fumble fat fingers cringe at the idea of operating a reloading press with those tiny bullets...they are much happier with the fat forty-fives I usually load.

Life is short, do something fun.

tangolima

It is a reloading question. Does 22 TCM headspace on the mouth or on the shoulder?

-TL

tangolima

It doesn't matter. I'm going to make it headspace on the shoulder anyway, so that I can shorten the neck. I'm trying to use the cheaper 55gr bullets for 223 rem.

-TL

RGRacing

I Own a Rock Island 1911A2 Tac Ultra - Love affair form the beginning.
Reloading I use Factory Armscor 40g JHP - Purchased in 2017 from ASW at $59.99 - $74.40 shipped. None to be had since 2020 nor is any ammo in Mpls.

Best reloading recommendation from a prescribed 22TCM hater was the
Lyman 22 Hornet Neck Expanding (M) Die - Never misses the bullet placement.
Lee Deluxe Carbide 3-Die Set 22 TCM w/Lee Factory Crimp Die 22 TCM.

H110 10.g but have the TCM powder I have not tried as yet.

My biggest hurdle is Tumbling bullets about 50% of the time. Never using Factory New. I guess it gives me a bigger wound channel.

I shoot the 9R if that's all that is available, just to add to my Brass Collection.

tangolima

I Own a Rock Island 1911A2 Tac Ultra - Love affair form the beginning.

Reloading I use Factory Armscor 40g JHP - Purchased in 2017 from ASW at $59.99 - $74.40 shipped. None to be had since 2020 nor is any ammo in Mpls.

Best reloading recommendation from a prescribed 22TCM hater was the

Lyman 22 Hornet Neck Expanding (M) Die - Never misses the bullet placement.

Lee Deluxe Carbide 3-Die Set 22 TCM w/Lee Factory Crimp Die 22 TCM.

H110 10.g but have the TCM powder I have not tried as yet.

My biggest hurdle is Tumbling bullets about 50% of the time. Never using Factory New. I guess it gives me a bigger wound channel.

I shoot the 9R if that's all that is available, just to add to my Brass Collection.
Thanks for the info.

I plan to convert .223 rem into 22TCM9R. Too cheap to spend money for new brass while piles of 223 brass around. Lee dies, modified length gauge, rcbs neck turner is the equipment needed. I will make it headspace on shoulder while I'm at it.

The only bullets still available is the Hornady 45gr hp. Would love to make 55gr fmjbt work, but probably not much hope. Maybe better chance for VMAX with insert removed.

-TL

The .22TCM was created to be fired in 1911s. The COAL is 1.265 inches, which is too long to fit in 9mm magazines. Since Tangolima will be converting a 9mm Glock, he will obviously need a cartridge that will fit in a 9mm magazine. Armscor came out with the .22TCM 9R for just that purpose. Compared to the original .22 TCM, the 9R version uses a shorter projectile with a rounder nose, allowing it to have a COAL that fits 9mm magazines.

Photo: https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busi...e71cba76339bccb460d2e470ecb8fd646b068358.jpeg

Source: https://forum.cartridgecollectors.org/t/armscor-22tcm-9r/16154

tangolima

I a bit of update. I have almost made it work. Things are in short supply so I had to improvise quite a bit.

First is the brass. Managed to buy some once fired off the internet. They are nickel plated. Not my favorite but it will do.

Bullets are tougher. The 35gr round nose can't be found. 45gr for .218 Bee will have to do. I made a pilot out of .223 rem to trim the brass shorter to have less than 1.165" COAL to fit in a 9mm Glock magazine. It is no longer .22TCM, but mostly it still is. Tried loading a 55gr fmjbt backward. The bullet tumbles.

Consistent FTE and FTF till MV reached 1600fps. It is not quite 100% but close to. My Glock 23 slide is a bit too sloppy for the round. I'm getting a cheap after-market g19 slide. It should fix most of the remaining issues.

The round barks loud as a .357 or even .44 magnum going off. The recoil is so light that extraction/ejection/feeding doesn't have much a window to adjust.

It will work.

-TL

tangolima

Got the after market G19 slide. The barrel fits better. However ejection now consistently fails. Apparently the new slide is a bit heavier than the stock slide. It still doesn't work well when pushing the load to max. I then switched to a slower burning powder similar to H110. All of a sudden it works fine even with slightly lower muzzle velocity.

The new powder has pretty grossly incomplete combustion. It barks really loud with big fire ball at the muzzle. The gas exits the muzzle at higher temperature, speed and mass. All that helps "rocket" the slide back, I suppose. Felt recoil increases of course, but only very slightly. The recoil spring probably isn't even bottom out.

The new rounds shoot ok. Still need to work the load to optimize accuracy. It is an interesting caliber. Practical use? I'm afraid not. Too much limitations and too finicky.

-TL

Last edited: