22Rimfire Velocity Question

thumbtack

I have been looking for information about the difference in velocity for .22 rimfire between a pistol with a 4in barrel and a rifle with a 16 or 20 inch barrel. Most of the information I can find just give a stat and does not specify the barrel length. Anyone able to help with this?

Erich

I certainly can, but my chrono notebooks are at home and I'm at work. :eek: I'm sure someone else will get to you pretty quickly, though.

44 AMP

Staff
I recall chronographing some regular "High velocity" .22LR from several 6" barrel pistols some years ago, avg was 1250fps 40gr bullet.

Can't say from a 4" or rifle, sorry.

johnbt

I meant to look it up last night, but forgot. The '67 Shooter's Bible has velocity info in the ammo section, although the test barrels listed could be 6" and 24" and not exactly what you are after.

I just now put a post-it in my sunglasses case to remind to look it up when I get home. Big deal, it's raining and is supposed to rain all day. I'll try to remember.

John

Edward429451

I've chronographed quite a bit of 22's from 1-1/8/ Mini revo's, 4" Bearcat, 5.5" MK II's, 10" MK II's, 18" 10/22's and Marlin model 60's. What would you like to know? :)

You will get higher velocities from a 18" barrel than a 4" barrel, but not much because 18" barrels are too long and the pressure curve is on its way down at that time. If you want maximum velocities in any 22 firearm then you want a 10" barrel.

I've debunked a few 22LR myths but I haven't tried absolutely every kind of ammo or every gun but generally speaking 10" barrels are best and CCI lies less than any manufacturer about it's 22's (With the exception of thier Velociters, HA!)

Edward429451

22 Myths Debunked

CCI Stingers are inaccurate (HA!)
Velociters are high velocity (HA, if you call 1000 fps high velocity)
REM bulk is trash ammo (This ammo tested to be more consistent than most other stuff on the market that I have shot.)
Winchester Wildcats are good ammo (This stuff is all over the place)

In my guns ;)