.22LR vs. .17HMR

socom58

Of these two calibers, given a good bolt-action rifle with a heavy barrel, which would group better at 50 or 100 yards? I've heard a lot of good things about the HMR - are they really as good as I hear?

629 shooter

Many shooters over at rimfirecentral.com have posted various targets over the years showing great targets with the 17HMR. Even my "cheap" Marlin 17V has shot sub MOA at 100 yards.

JohnO

The 17hmr is much flatter shooting than a .22lr. If your going out to 100 yds or so the HMR will shine over a 22lr.

DWARREN123

For very small game both are good, the 17HMR will work out to about 150 yards depending on the shooter and equipment while the 22LR maxes out at about 75 yards with good ammo.

Just my opinion.

Wild Bill Bucks

I decided to stay with my 22 magnum when I considered all the different things I hunt, and their average ranges.

Have a freind that owns one and he likes his for coyote. He has never had to shoot one over a 100 yards, and my 22 mag will do that just as well.
His 17 pretty much makes a squirell or rabbit uneatable at 30 yards, and doesn't really work that good on yotes either (bullet tends to take a pretty good patch of hair off, but doesn't really penetrate that well.)

His 17 shoots faster than my magnum but it also is effected by wind quite a bit more also. I noticed at the range if a brisk cross wind is blowing his groups will open up 3 times larger than on a still day, and my mag groups will open a little to, but not as much.

They are fun to shoot, and probably about the same for ammunition, but I already had my magnum, and I just don't see any REAL HUNTING reasons for owning one.

But to each his own.

socom58

Well, I'm not really gonna be using it for hunting, mainly target. Is there an advantage to the .22 Magnum over the HMR? Seems to me the HMR would be faster to target and have less drop, right? Assuming no wind, would the 17 group better?

kingudaroad

Is there an advantage to the .22 Magnum over the HMR?

In a word...NO. Except for the price of the ammo. I gladly pay the $7 a box for the tremendous velocity and accuracy of the .17 hmr.

You get what you pay for I guess.

tipoc

At 100 yards at a target range on a calm day the 17 has the potential to group better than the .22 LR or the .22 Magnum provided the shooter and the rifle are up to it. This is because it is flatter shooting than the other two particularly the LR.

You don't see it a lot at bench rest competitions though. Other rounds tend to dominate there. As a target rifle you may want to investigate them.

On hunting I second what Wild Bill Bucks has said.

tipoc

Moloch

Well, I'm not really gonna be using it for hunting, mainly target. Is there an advantage to the .22 Magnum over the HMR? Seems to me the HMR would be faster to target and have less drop, right? Assuming no wind, would the 17 group better?

The 22mag is better for tougher/thicker skinned animals.

It shoots 40grain hollowpoints or FMJ'S at 1800fp/s, 40grain is the heavy end of rimfires and it will outpenetrate 17hmr's.
Its not as explosive as the 17hmr (with tnt's´very close) and softpoints expand to .311 cal.in gelantine.
Its not as accurate as the 17HMR but its made for tougher animals. (Bobcat, rabbit....etc.)

.22wmr's softpoints are good cartridges for bobcats and same sized critters.

You guessed it, Iam a magnum-man.:D

American4guns

I have the savage 93r heavy stainles barrel and it will shoot sub MOA @100 yards,but any wind greatly affects accuracy and the ammo is a little pricey.I like the caliber abd the rifle,just not the costly ammo.I can get 223 ammo for the same price or less

dgc940

My .17 out groups my 22lr but my barrel on my .17 also cost me 250.00
And for the hunters if you use a .17 in gamepoint rounds instead of the ballistic tips it is a lot easier on meat damage. but that's not been a problem for me. mine shoots well enough I squirrel hunt with my .17 and I don't eat the heads! is that a good enough group? as stated above www.rimfirecentral.com and ask to see some targets! the .17 tuned and tweaked at 25yds will put five in 1 hole not raged hole the same hole. with a good trigger it will really group amazingly! some shooters HATE it because the wind realy throws it off!

FirstFreedom

For apples to apples - off the shelf guns - the .17 is typically more accurate because the necked case holds the case still in the front of the chamber, whereas with a straight-walled case like the .22 or .22 mag, if the chamber is not tight, the rimfire striker can make the round 'cant' in the chamber which disrupts accuracy. The .17 is a hoot, but as mentioned, the .22 mag is more practical for hunting if you want to save the meat or use it for things as large as coyotes or beaver.