.22LR Tracers...HELP!

FM12

I have a full box of 50 .22LR "Gevelot" brand tracers...each has a red dot on the tip, apparently the "tracer" stuff...any info about these you can share? Thanks, FM12

Rimrod

I've never used any but the red dot is probably paint or laquer to identify them by. The "tracer stuff" is at the base of the bullet and ignites from the burning gunpowder.

RJay

And most states frown on there use because of the fire hazard. Most firing ranges won't even allow their use also.

skeeter1

If you do decide to shoot them (might be fun, and probably the safest way to dispose of them), treat them as corrosive ammo and clean the bejeebers out of your firearm afterwards. There's no telling what sort of phosphor they use, but it can't be good for your firearm.

jamie.27203

I second cleaning the snot out of it. A shooting buddie shot some tracers out of his .45 and they scored the barel pretty badly.

hj28rules

No doubt that these are corrosive loads. First of all: most of these 'tracers' are imported from China. Not all, but most.
Best time to shoot: twilight.
Check local fire restrictions
DO NOT load and shoot a full magazine of these rounds!!!
Tracers were developed to let military gunners know where their rounds were going. The common load was ONE tracer for every five rounds fired. Primarily aviation doctrine.
There are many uses for the tracer in terms of aquiring a moving target.
They are "cool" but REALLY dumb in dry woody/grassy areas where they can cause massive brush/grass fires. The red paint on the point of the round indicates a tracer.
Other uses: Empty magazine indicator: i.e., 2 or 3 consecutive tracers followed by 2 normal rounds to indicate an empty mag. Common doctrine in military use.

REMEMBER: "WHEN IN COMBAT, TRACERS WORK BOTH WAYS."
Caliber doesn't matter. Tracers are dangerous fire hazards in ANY environment.
LM...Ft. Worth, Tx.
SFC US Army (ret.)
Viet Nam - Desert Storm

HOUSE BILL #1022: Contact your LOCAL Congressional Representative and crap in their mess kit!@! About this affront to the 2nd Amendment!!

FM12

Thanks, fellows...never thought about them being corrosive. Don't plan to shoot them though, just keeping them as a novelty item, er ammo! I appreciate your input. Man, I love this forum!!

I thought they might have some collectors value, but apparently not. A box sold the other day on an auction for $18.00 So much for getting rich off them...

Nortonics

I've considered buying some tracers, just because they are way cool to see shot, at least on TV.

Cabelas sells them, as .22 LR and .223

.22 Long Rifle Tracer Ammunition

Bulk .223 Tracer Ammunition

Expense is what has stopped me:

Qty. 250 .22 LR - $100
Qty. 200 .223 - $90

Ouch. I'm sure you can find 'em cheaper, but probably not by that much.

I have some doubts about whether they will damage a firearm though. If someone could provide a link or two to some articles that describe this issue, perhaps with some real world science based testing, I might become a believer.

zenner22

Why would you not load a full mag of tracers? I always figured the military didn't load full mags of them because they were more expensive than regular ammo. Is there a safety reason behind this?

ConcealCarryNY

Why would you not load a full mag of tracers? I always figured the military didn't load full mags of them because they were more expensive than regular ammo. Is there a safety reason behind this?
Tracers show the other team where you are. The other team likes to shoot stuff that uses tracers(i.e. crew served heavy machine guns). I do know of some squad leaders who use magazines of tracers in combat to point out enemy positions but everytime you use a tracer you give away your position and that decreases surviability.