.22lr rifles. 10/22 vs. a bolt action vs. a lever action.

CraigC

The Henry versus a stock 10/22 (not the "T" model) will probably be a tossup. A good boltgun will outshoot either of them. How much accuracy you need depends solely on how you plan to use the rifle. So, how do you plan to use the rifle?

RRmerlin70

I just ordered a CZ 452 American in .22LR. Might be tough to find under $300, but if you go used it should be no problem. I don't have it yet, but I've been assured it will be capable of shooting .5" groups at 50 yds out of the box.

Inspector3711

I've had all three... Had a Marlin bolt in LR that was very accurate. Had a Marlin lever that wasn't quite as accurate but more fun for plinking. Then I went out and bought a stock 10/22 in about 1990. I flat loved that gun. I polished the bore with flitz and I'll tell you what, with a Bushnell 4X scope it was more accurate than any 22 I've had to date. I now have a new 10/22 with a varmint barrel and a Bushnell 3-9X but I haven't had it out enough to really get it zeroed in. That old one though... 25 yards prone with a bipod and muzzle break and I could put 5 shots inside a quarter. i'd buy the 10/22 with no hesitation for the fun factor alone anyway. papapapap!

jmorrell

I have a Nikon scoped Henry and a BSA scoped 10/22 Target with a Green Mountain barrel. Shooting both from sand bags, the 10/22 can run rings around the Henry: 1/4" groups at 50 yards are the norm with the 10/22, and 1/2" groups are the norm with the Henry. I must say that the Henry is more fun to shoot. :D

saudst

I traded my Marlin model 60 SS for a 10/22 and within 10 days got a stock and 18" match barell from Midway. They garanteed 1/2 MOA at 50 yds. As with any rimfire I have perchased, I got a box of every brand of ammo I could find for testing, includeing a $9.00 box of Federal Match. The gun shoots 1/2" groups at 50 yds. with the $1.09 a box run of the mill Federals. It will head shoot a squirrel out of the tallest tree here in Ohio every time I do my part. I never thought a semi auto could be so acurate.

lg_mouth

Toss up

In my opinion, this is a toss up between 10/22 and most bolts. I have no experience with lever guns. I love my Ruger, but I put a heavy barrel and thumbhole stock on it and I can touch dimes from 50 yards all day with cheap Remington rounds.

I also had a $100 Marlin 25 that would shoot inside of quarters at 50 yards. That was my squirrel buster until I traded it off. Still kick myself on a daily basis for trading that gun.

Lg_mouth

CraigC

In my opinion, this is a toss up between 10/22 and most bolts.

Stock 10/22's or those fitted with a heavy barrel and aftermarket stock??? So far everybody has compared a stock boltgun to a modified 10/22. On average 10/22 owners typically have to outspend their boltgun counterparts for equal accuracy.

lg_mouth

Little vague

Yeah, I didn't state that very well. I was comparing modified 10/22s with bolts.

For the money, stock, go with a bolt. Like I stated, my $100 Marlin 25 was within a quarter.

Lg_mouth

Inspector3711

My 10/22 posting involved a stock (except for $7 muzzle brake) 10/22 group size initially... My new modified 10/22 hasn't been dialed in yet so I didn't give a group size...

jmorrell

Here's what a 10/22T can do out of the box without modification other than a BSA Contender 6-24X40 scope. Ten rounds of CCI Mini-Mags were shot at 50 yards off of sand bags.

Target1.jpg

ckd

Have several 22lr Henry's and 10/22. It is sort of a apples to oranges comparison; both great but different actions.

I have a soft spot for lever actions and revolvers but they aren't more accurate, and from a SD standpoint, not quite as desireable as a semi-auto of similar quality. I shoot all my 22lrs with iron sights, and the 10/22 is a tack driver, so accuracy is a non-issue. It is easier to customize a 10/22 if thats your thing.

Haven't shopped lately, but a new 10/22 is less expensive than a US Henry.

Can't go wrong with either; best of luck.

22-rimfire

Most lever action 22's have not been as accurate as bolt actions. The lever action 22's are great for general use, hunting, plinking, and as a gun for training kids to shoot.

Bolt action guns are consistantly more accurate than typical 10/22's or lever action. But they aren't as fun to shoot. I do like the TC R-55 a lot as a semi-auto 22 rifle. They shoot very well typically and are a full sized rifle.

Frankyoz

10/22's for fun factor all day long, just got done putting about 100rds down range with my 8yr old son I love that little gun I got him. Great out of the box acuracy and upgrades galore. If you looking at buying a rifle that is going to drive nails at 100 yrds then you going to have to put some money into any bolt action as well. I think what people are trying to get at is you can take a 10/22 to whatever level of accuracy as you want over whatever length of time your wallet needs. When you start looking at bolt actions yes you get a step up in accuracy right out of the box but to take those rifles to another level is a bit more expensive. I bought my sons 10/22 carbine for 194 bucks at walmart to me thats a bargain, and when I want and he is ready I can upgrade it with his skill.