22lr revolver

jimjc

I`ve always had semi-auto 22lr. hand guns but I`ve grown tired of feeding, ejection problems and bullet choices, so I`ve have a renewed interest in revolvers and I`m looking for a 22lr. in preferably a small to medium framed 6 inch barrel. What would be your recommendation?

Would I see any big difference in accuracy between a 4" and 6" barrels?

aarondhgraham

Double Action or Single Action?,,,

In single action a Ruger Single Six is probably the best gun out there,,,
A used Colt Frontier Scout is another good one to consider.

Heritage Arms makes an inexpensive gun,,,
But it's really not comparable to the Ruger or the Colt.

Cimarron makes one called the Plinkerton,,,
Again it's not built to Ruger quality,,,
But it shoots well enough.

In double action S&W Makes the 617,,,
Very nice handgun but it's pricey.

S&W also makes the 317,,,
It's a smaller frame gun but again it's a S&W so it's pricey.

Charter Arms Target Pathfinder is a nice gun,,,
A lady friend of mine owns a 4" version,,,
It's not a S&W but is still very nice,,,
Hers performs very well.

Don't rule out used S&W's though,,,
S&W Model 18 Combat Masterpiece with 4" barrel,,,
Or a S&W Model 17 Masterpiece which has a 6" barrel.

There is strong opinion that they are the finest .22 revolvers ever made,,,
My Model 18 (my 2nd favorite revolver) is an absolute joy to shoot.

Inherently there shouldn't be much difference in accuracy between a 4" and a 6" barrel,,,
But a lot of people like the longer sight radius of a 6" barrel,,,
They believe (probably rightly) that it's more accurate,,,
I personally prefer the balance of a 4" barrel.

Aarond

pmeisel

S&W k frame in 6" barrel is a great one.

4" barrel -- shorter sight radius but easier to pack. If i was only shooting targets I'd go 6, but for a woods-walking plinker I'd probably go 4.

micromontenegro

I vote for an older Model 17, but I might be partialized, 'cause I use mine (1958 vintage) as often as I can:

SW173.jpg

CajunBass

The only one I can add to what's been said is the big Dan Wesson 22. Long out of production, but seen from time to time used, they are probably as good as the Smith & Wesson 17 as shooters. I like the S&W 17 a little better, because it's a little smaller and lighter, and has a better finish, but I can't say I shoot it any better.

001-1.jpg

Since the Dan Wesson has interchangable barrels, you can get 4" and 6". :D

Rifleman1776

You have a bigger selection of .22 lr revolvers than almost any other type of firearm there is.
Set your budget and go shopping.
My vote goes to the Ruger Single Six. Mine has been a dependable performer for many years and has, at least, another lifetime left in it.

OleCodger

If you can find a circa 1960's High Standard Sentinel made in Hamden, Conn. in good shape, I can almost give you a money back guarantee that you will love it. Yeah I know it's not an easy task. I found mine through Guns America a couple of years ago. High Standard made high quality guns back then .......I wouldn't part with mine.....

BigJimP

There are quite a few of the model 17's and 18's ( K22 - Masterpiece and Combat Masterpiece models from S&W on the used market). The model 17's and 18's have some of the finest DA triggers in .22 lr revolvers around in my opinion.

I picked up a very nice model 18-3 K22 Combat Masterpiece, 4", for $ 500 a few weeks ago ( 1971 vintage). S&W is making the model 18 again / in their new Classic series / and I see a few of them around for about $ 850 - $ 900 new.

Nothing wrong with the S&W model 617 / if you like the full length lug under the barrel. They are available new or used of course .... in the $ 500 range as well.

22-rimfire

Consider the 5" Smith Model 63 (Stainless J-frame). S&W just recently stopped production on this version and now offer a 3" version. Nice little gun.

markallen

You can keep an eye for H&Rs. Too many models to list here. They are no longer made, and when they were, were considered a budget handgun.
Built well, sturdy, and very accurate. And still very affordable today.

Here is my newly aquired 676. .22/.22WMR combo, with 12" barrel.
hr676001.jpg
[/IMG]

hr676007.jpg
[/IMG]

Stainz

I sold some seriously fine firearms so I could buy my current/recent production S&W rimfires. It was worth it! As has been said, the top revolver below - a 5" 63 with added HiViz sight and wood grips, is not currently in production, having been replaced by the bottom revolver below, a 3" 63. The grips were added. Both grips and HiViz were added to my first S&W .22 revolver, middle below. It cost me my KMK-678GC and mags/accessories - but it was worth it.

IMG_4604.jpg

My greatest regret - waiting until I was sixty to get my first S&W .22 - the above 4" 617. Expensive? Yep - but worth it. You cannot pay too much for a good firearm. You can sure overpay for a turkey! The wood grips helped - the 60's sport the '60 Pro' grips; the 617 sports Ahrends 'retro targets'. The newest is the 3" 63 - and it is fun... it may edge the 4" 617 out of the top spot.

Stainz

22-rimfire

Years ago, Colt and Smith & Wesson competed head to head in the revolver market. Both were very well made revolvers. I'm just trying to give you a general idea of what is or was made in the premium revolver market.

If price is not a serious concern, the Colt Diamondback is an EXCELLENT DA 22 revolver. I prefer the 4" blue version overall, but the 6" is a real nice revolver too. Even though I think I'm going to really like the Model 63 above, I still like the Diamondbacks more. But, they are very costly these days due to the collector market.

The Colt Trooper Mark III is also a nice revolver in 22LR. It was made in 4", 6", and 8" barrel lengths. It is about the size of the Smith 686. It is a very good shooting 22 revolver. It is the least expensive of the Colt offerings and has not caught on strongly as a collector gun yet, but some variations are pretty sought after in the collector market. It was chambered in 22LR, 22WMR, and 357 magnum. The 357's tend not to be collector guns unless they are a limited production variation.

The original Colt Trooper is also a very good revolver, but difficult to find. They all came as 4" revolvers in 22LR.

The Colt Officers Model Match is also a premium 22 revolver made with a 6" barrel. It is probably the best shooting Colt 22 revolver. They tend to be collector guns now, but do not cost in as much as the Diamondbacks in 22.

aarondhgraham

Hello 22-rimfire,,,

I own one of the 6" Mk-III Troopers in .22 LR,,,
I bought it as a companion gun to my Mk-III .357 Magnum.

You are correct in that it is a very nice revolver,,,
When I let people shoot it their first comment is always "It's heavy".

One range acquaintance of mine always wants to shoot it,,,
That's fine because he always hands me his S&W Model 17 in trade.

I shoot the model 17 better than my Trooper,,,
He shoots the Trooper better than the S&W,,,
Go figure.

Someday I'm going to meet someone who owns a Colt Diamondback,,,
I've never even handled one but I surely would like to give one a whirl someday.

I have shot the Colt Officers Match in .22 LR though,,,
That's one sweet handgun and easily comparable to my experience with a S&W Model 17.

All in all though,,,
My personal preference seems to stay with 4" guns,,,
Didi, my S&W model 18, remains the absolute favorite .22 revolver.

Later my friend,,,

Aarond

stevieboy

This discussion shouldn't be so complicated. If one is interested in a single action gun, the two best in production that don't cost a month's pay (I'm leaving the Freedom Arms model out of this discussion) are the Ruger Single Six and the USFA single action .22, with the USFA gun being a lot more expensive than the Ruger.

If double action is what you're looking for, then, of the guns that are currently in production, the Smith & Wesson Model 617 is hands down the champ.

I have a 4" 617. It's an older model made back in 1992. I long ago lost track of the number of rounds I've put through it, several 10s of thousands by my guess. The gun has not lost an iota of accuracy or performance despite its heavy use. The gun more or less replicates Smith's K and L-frame center fire revolvers in size and weight (actually, it's a K-frame, but the full underlug adds a lot of mass to the gun), has a superb trigger for a .22, and is almost eerily accurate.

Stiofan

I just love the Bearcats, like smiling and seeing your new gold tooth. Maybe a bit pricey but they sure are sweet. I'm gonna get me one some day when I grow up.

0912.jpg

0913.jpg