.22LR lever: most accurate & trouble-free -- opinions please

Thirties

I am a LH shooter with one long rifle: an older Mossberg tube-fed bolt action. It is accurate and I'm happy with it. But it's size and workings make it more of a target rifle, than a "walk through the woods" plinking and small varmint rifle.

So, I'm thinking of getting a lever .22 in carbine length. Can you folks share your opinions on the most accurate offhand _and_ most trouble-free tubular feeding .22lr lever gun (new or old doesn't matter to me).

I've never handled a lever rifle, so I am maybe more concerned than I should about their reliablility, maintenance, bullet feeding and accuracy.

Am I a fool to even think that I will be better served with a shorter lever gun for my purposes?

Thanks for your opinions . . . Spiros

6724Colt

The Winchchester 9422 is a super nice looking gun. They sell for about $400 new. If you want a good rifle I would think this would be your best bet.

Master Blaster

Ditto on the 94/22 made by Winchester USRAC. I have one and I love it, I think they still make them with the politically incorrect trigger pull and safety system. That means a good trigger pull, and no crossbolt safety.

Around here about $350 for the checkered walnut stocked model.

Hook_N_Bullet

The Marlin 39A is extremely accurate and trouble free. As well as the Marlin 1897 Cowboy. Marlin uses a Micro-groove rifling that gives you better accuracy. Both are very well made and look pretty nice. The 1897 has an octagonal barrel.

The downside is Marlin is the most expensive (over $500) of all the guns listed above.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Good Guy

Ditto on the ditto on the 9422. Nice rifles. The only problem I've had with mine in 20 years was the inner mag tube would sometimes slide out when only a few rounds were left in the tube while romping around in the woods. But that was an easy fix.

I can't honestly answer your questions because I have never done a side by side comparison of all the lever action .22s out there. When I decided to buy myself a .22 lever action, I wanted a Marlin 39A. I honestly believe that to be the best one out there. However, one of my only criteria was that it had to be as short as possible. Marlin no longer makes the 39 in a short version so I went with the Winchester 9422 Trapper. I have no regrets. The Winchester is a super gun. The front sight is too wide for real fine accuracy but as a plinker, or small gave rifle it is terrific. Of course if you want to explore it's limits of accuracy you could always mount a scope on it. I doubt you would be disappointed with any of them.

James K

Member In Memoriam
My vote for the Marlin, with the 9422 a fairly close second. The Henry is OK if money is the primary factor, but IMHO, I don't think they will hold up as well as the others.

Jim

Thirties

Thanks, folks, for your replies. It looks like I shoud check out an older Marlin 39, or a Winchester 9422. I do have an old Scope Chief 'scope which I was planning to mount on this not yet purchased rifle. I like the scope, but prefer to use the iron aperture sights on my bolt .22 rifle. I figure the scope on the shorter barrel carbine would be appropriate.

The local gun store has the 9422s new at a bit under $400.

Spiros

k77/22rp

I think you should put your scope on the bolt rifle and leave the lever with iron sights. Just a suggestion.

Mal H

Staff
Before reading your post, I was going to recommend a Marlin 39A, like about half the folks here already have as it turns out. Then I see you wanted a carbine length lever action. So I guess I'll have to change my recommendation and say forget the carbine length and get a 39A. It will outlive you and your children and will still be accurate when your grandchildren are using it. :D

Mike Baugh

My rifle is actually a 39AS Golden, it is full size not a carbine length. I think I bought it about 3 years ago. It is my favorite .22. I have owned the Winchester 94/22, 94/22 Magnum and Browning BL22 [all carbine length], I like my Marlin much better. It is extremely accurate and the quality/fit/finish is a lot better. Dont get me wrong, they are all nice rifles, the Marlin is just my pick. Good luck, Mike...

Thirties

I readar Marlin Talk that this year Marlin is making the 1897 .22 in a 20" length octagonal barrel. Is this the same gun as the 39A other than the thick barrel?

Dfariswheel

The only real difference in the newer Marlin's is the addition of a PC safety. The quality, of course, isn't as good as it was years ago, but it's still VERY good.

There were 3 basic versions of the 39: The short carbine, the standard rifle, and the best of both, the Mountie. This had a carbine length barrel, but the full pistol grip of the rifle.

I'd take a long look at the Marlin. I've never heard of anybody being sorry they bought one. The're still milled steel, and American walnut, and shoot like you're rolling 'em down a tube.