22lr inherent in/accuracy (sort of)

Norrick

Look at these photos. All of the 22 magnum and 17hmr ammo I've seen in person appears to have bullets of much higher quality. They appear to be smooth and less "dinged" up. They almost appear to have copper jackets (whereas a 22lr would have copper plating). The reason I use the word "inherent" in the thread title is because I think the manufacturing process is the reason for the difference in bullet quality (think about how cheap 22lr is and the huge quantities in which they are produced).

Do you think this lack of dinging up the bullets has any effect on the accuracy? I would think it would be on average more concentric from bullet to bullet (the circumference of the bullet itself would be more "round").

Is this a moot point? A bullet experiences deformation as it goes through a barrel anyway, and perhaps weight distribution may influence a spinning object more than the actual shape.

What do you guys think?

Here are some photos I found from scouring the internet:
from http://michaelreed.info/guns.html
rimfire.jpg

this one is from wikipedia, it really shows the dings well that I was referring to:
22LR_cartridge_0625.png

Last edited:

Jim Watson

If you pay $12-$15 a box for .22 lr as you would for .17 HMR, you will get bullets without dents and better accuracy. If you compare the big rimfires with real jacketed bullets versus cheap bulk packed .22s, you will see lower quality and less accuracy.

Norrick

you know my buddy bought a pack of match bullets and I didn't really notice anything physically different about them other than the fact that they were covered with a waxy material. I'm wondering if that wax may "fill" in the voids and make it smoother on the surface. I don't think he paid that much though.

B.L.E.

I believe the consistency of the powder charge and the priming compound has a bigger effect on accuracy than the smoothness of the bullet's nose does. The spinning of the bullet from the rifling evens out the direction that a small dent tries to steer the bullet towards.
Some ballistic gurus claim that a perfect base is more critical than a perfect nose on the bullet when it comes to accuracy.

Nakanokalronin

I buy the 550rd packs of Federal 22lr and those things are dead on accurate every single time in my stock barreled and scoped 10/22. Sure they have a few little dings on the bullets but they seem to not affect performance in the slightest.

Bigfatts

Any bulk packed ammo will have it's dings and such. But when have you ever seen .22 WMR or .17 HMR rattling around in bulk boxes? You don't. Nor do you see that in premium .22 LR. Try Wolf MT or ME and you will be amazed the difference it can make in a rifle.