.22lr GLOCK Conversion Kit

shooter_john

I have decided that I might like to try a .22 conversion kit for one of my Glocks rather than go out and buy a new pistol. Does anyone have any advice on these or can you recommend one over another?
So far I have onle seen the Advantage Arms and the Ceiner models.

Thanks in advance! Merry Christmas!

John

SilverState

Funny you should ask:

I was at the Gun Show today and bought an Advantage Arms 22LR Conversion for my Glock 20 from Glock Doctor (aka Desert Scorpion). It came with the mag and a cleaning kit consisting of round patches, BreakFree CLP, rod, and attachments. The conversion itself consists of a lightweight upper with barrel, spring, rod, adjustable sights, etc.

I took it to the range after leaving the Gun Show and without cleaning or lubricating it. I put a hundred rounds of cheapo no-name brand ammo (from the gun show) through it.

At first, maybe because it was brand new and needed some breaking in, or maybe because there was no lube whatsoever, it would fire but not cycle. Fortunately, that only lasted a few rounds. After that, it was pretty reliable with the occasional ftf/fte.

I bought the conversion upper because I am recovering from a broken shoulder and have not been able to shoot for the last three months. I figured that starting with a .22 was a good way to ease back into things. I was right. It was a lot of fun! I am surgically accurate with it. There is NO recoil. And it is UBER inexpensive. $14 for 500 rounds.

If you have been considering getting one of these conversion kits, I would highly recommend it for the range. Not something you want to use to defend your life, but lots of inexpensive fun at the range. I am sure my wife would like using it as well, and when my kid gets old enough, it will be a great way to introduce him to pistols.

9x19

I prefer the AACK... in fact I like it so much, I bought it, its own 3rd generation frame! :D

AACK.jpg

BUCKMARK

IMHO...

For Glocks, Advantage Arms is the way to go. They are accurate, reliable and not hard on the wallet. AA Kits also use the striker safety and have a last round slide lock back.

The kits do run better when lubed more than you would the factory centerfire slide/barrel.

Also, I have found that these kits like high velocity and super velocity jacketed rounds.

Mine runs great with Remington Golden Bullets and CCI mini mags and Stingers.

These cost more than cheapo .22 ammo, but still much less than even 9mm ammo.

Advantage Arms has a list of ammo NOT to use...Federal and Winchester wildcats come to mind.

The AA Kits are worth every penny! Just buy extra mags...they can't be loaded fast enough!

shooter_john

9x19...
How did you go about getting a spare Glock frame? That is exactly what I would want to get later on in order to have a dedicated Glock .22. Sounds like my mind is made up on this one!

Pappy John

So... are the magazines limited to ten rounds. It seems like you could stuff a whole lot of rimfire rounds into the interior of a G17 mag, if they used all the available space. ;)

9x19

Yes, 10 round mags... I'm not sure how reliable higher capacity mags would be, considering the rimmed cartridge.

SilverState

Took the conversion to the range again this weekend. THIS TIME, I cleaned/lubed it before shooting. It performed well. It was 99% reliable with only 1 FTF using cheesey noname brand .22LR ammo from the gun show. Amazing how much better guns perform when clean and lubed... In contrast, my Wilson Combat (Marvel) 1911 22LR conversion would not feed the noname gun show ammo at all.

So, I am very pleased with the kit. Even using the wrong ammo (i.e. ammo that is not recommended by Advantage Arms for this kit), it fed, fired, and ejected pretty reliably.

And, unlike the WC kit, the sights are hiviz Glock-type adjustable sights with a white dot front sight.

GeneS

I have one of the Ceiner kits that I bought second hand. The sights are poor but it is plenty accurate. It feeds everything I've tried but it is very picky about what brand it will fire. It will not bust the primer on CCI brand. I mean nearly 100% will not fire. Federal or Remington will fire maybe 99% of the time. Winchester maybe a little less. For what I use it for, I can live with that. Besides I didn't pay much for it.

SilverState

Received my four additional AA .22LR mags from Top Glock this week and took them to the range today.

Did I mention Top Glock gives members of gun forums (hopefully this one) a discount?

Five mags is must. Having to keep reloading one mag is for the birds!

At least my shoulder has healed enough so that I was able to shoot a few hundred rounds of .45acp without a problem (nice tight groups).

:D

Floosh

Frame

I am having trouble finding a frame for a permanent setup. Any suggestions of where to look for a good deal on a used frame?