22LR. Conversions for 1911 clone

Steam Boat

Howdy,
I'm a new user, and trying to teach the wife to shoot. I don't want to scare her away by having her first shot be a Hyda shock hollow point 45ACP. I think starting Her off with 22LR. conversion on my Springfield Armory Champion light Operator would introduce her to hand guns would be the right thing to do then work up to the .45, does any body have knowledge of a conversion that will work reliably with this make and model? http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif

Thanks for the replies, But will these conversion units work with the Ramped, Bushing-less Bull Barrel setup that my S.A. Champion has ?

Last edited:

TOMBECK

A Marvel or Ceiner or Kimber should work fine, the Marvel will probably be the most accurate, but all should be good for training. The older Colt conversion with floating chamber will give more recoil, but well below the standard 45 load.

LHB1

Sounds good to me. I'm teaching my 9 year old grandson to shoot pistols with a Marvel #1 conversion unit on a Wilson 1911 frame. The Marvel, Kimber, Wilson, or Ciener (?) conversions should work on most 1911 pistols with standard frame size. Occasionally a conversion won't fit due to tolerance stack between the frame and conversion slide but a little careful fitting should solve that problem if it occurs. I recommend Marvel Unit 1 or Unit 2 or Kimber conversion unit.