22LR Conversion kits

Eric Larsen

As of late I have seen quite a few Conversion kits for alot of guns.
Glock, Beretta, 1911, Sig, CZ etc.............
I have seen "why would you do that?" posts on some forums.....
I just thought I would throw some ideas out....

Its the cheapest way to shoot period.
Its great practice with your CCW or any gun.
The same sights, weight, trigger and gun you usually shoot.
It takes about 1 minute or less to change calibers.
Great beginner teaching tool...less intimidation.
Alot more reasons I cant remember because I havent had my coffee yet.... :D

I dont have one for my CZ but plan on it in the near future....
Any comments good / bad are welcome.....
Shoot well

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I like the conversion kit idea as it does let you practice basic bullseye shooting for a lesser amount of money and use the same trigger pull for both the rimfire and the centerfire. My P210 came with a .22 conversion and is not reliable. This is fine for paper but nothing else. I bought a Kimber .22 conversion and it's fine, but not as accurate as I'd hoped. The best in my opinion has been the CZ Kadet conversion. It groups and is reliable.

Best.

fdea7b91.jpg

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
The Jonathan Ciener 1911 conversion - - -

- - -has been very satisfactory. Elder Son ordered one on close-out and they sent the "Platinum Cup" version for the same money as the fixed-sight version.

Barrel leads up quickly with the cheap-o Winchester Wildcat promotional ammo, but the unit is accurate and reliable with Federal HP bulk pack and several other types of ammo.

There are other reasons I like it, but I, too, need some more coffee.

Good luck--
Johnny

PS--A friend has one for his AR15, and it's a lot of fun. Accuracy is not great, but there's some difference in .22 rimfire bullet diameter and .223 bore size.:p

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hi, Johnny! I think possibly my conversion was a "Friday 4:45PM pistol." The front sight was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low and I fixed that, but have never been able to get this one to group.
May just be my particular conversion.

Best.

dawg23

If anyone decides to get a conversion kit for their Glock, STAY AWAY from the Ciener. The only kit to buy for the Glocks is the Advantage Arms Conversion Kit (AACK).

This will be a LONG post if I go into all the Glock problems with the Cieners and then list all the advantages of the AACK. But if you go to Glock Talk (www.glocktalk.com) and run a search under "AACK", or "Ciener" or "Advantage Arms" you will find a few hundred posts that will document what I've said (You could ALSO run a similar search on this forum and probably get the same info).

Dawg23

Brian Newbill

I have the Advantage Arms Conversion and it is great. I put a post about my experience with the company late last year.

It shoots better than I can and it never has a hiccup.

I know a guy who absolutely hates his Ciener and has had all kinds of problems getting it to work.

Go for the AAC.

GeoJelly

Mr. Camp - Please, who did the hard-chrome, or whatever that fantastic finish is, on your CZ frame? I can't get mine plated until I get back to the States - but I'll sure make a note of who did it if you have time to answer. Thanks in advance - Geo

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
WHOA!!!!

Hey, guys--
I don't own stock in Ciener or anything. Just relating a GOOD experience with ONE, SINGLE, EXAMPLE of a product.

Maybe we just got lucky and were sent the one-and-only good one they made recently. Or maybe--Just, PERHAPS--it has something to do with the basic 1911 design, and . . . . Oh, never mind.;)

Best,
Johnny

PS--Steve--I've personally never sat down and sandbagged this one for groups at 25 or 50 yds. I think we tested it with four or five brands at 15 or 20 yards, just to establish parameters. I could shoot it noticibly better than either of the two Colt .22/.45 units I have owned. Then Matt went to running draw-and-shoot drills, to prepare for qualifications. Worked fine for those.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello, GeoJelly. That is hardchrome as done by Armalloy in Ft. Worth, TX. It's my understanding that they will still work on firearms, but do NOT do surface preparation.

I'm told that Virgil Tripp does very, very nice work in hardchrome these days.

Best.

Walt Sherrill

Several of my friends have Ciener kits for their 1911s, and the accuracy tends to vary pretty widely.

Ciener also makes the adapter kits for Kimber and Wilson. I think Wilson offers a "more accurate" version for his guns; I think its still made by Ciener, but they do something to improve accuracy.

There is another vendor who makes adapters for 1911s, a company called Marvel, and apparently those kits are target/match grade. (The Bullseye shooters on another forum rave about them.) They cost about $80-$100 more than the Ciener kit, but I've heard no complaints.)

I have a Kadet Adapter for my CZ-85 Combat, and like the one shown on Stephen Camp's gun. Mine was so accurate that I traded my Ruger Target Competition...

I've heard nothing bad bad comments about the Ciener kits for Glocks on this type of forum, but a couple of friends have them, and consider them adequate for their needs. (Basically, it lets them practice for IDPA at a lower cost.)

I have yet to meet or talk with anyone who has the Ciener .22 kit for the Beretta 92/96...

Pilot

I've heard and read good things about the Marvel .22 conversion for the 1911. Most accurate and most expensive. I agree with Mr. Camp, the Kadet kit for the CZ is superb. Nice pre-B 75 Steve.