.22LR conversion kit for 1911 - which one to get?

Warm Bore

It's pretty clear that I've got to get some more trigger time in on my Kimber. I was toying with the idea of just getting a .22 target pistol (sold mine in a moment of stupidity a long time ago) but have decided on going with a conversion kit for it. This will keep my hand tuned to the Kimber trigger. So what are my options, what do you recommend, and what should I stay away from?

Thanks to all for posting.

Regards,

Warm Bore

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
I hasten to say that I DON'T and WON'T own a conversion unit for my 1911. So maybe I'm not as entitled to an opinion as RAE is, who has had good luck with one. But note that RAE's admitted accuracy was only '...as good as most *inexpensive* .22 pistols.' (emphasis mine)
A conversion unit will cost about as much as a carefully priced-out Ruger target gun, and over half what a full-house competitive model from *&*, Hammerli, etc. would be.
For the price, you will get (from what I've read elsewhere as well as here) questionable accuracy, and a chance of poor function and reliability (just saw somewhere in the last few days that some poor schmuck couldn't get his Ceiner unit off his frame once he got it on.)
In addition, your pistol will be out of action as a centerfire all the while it's set up as a rimfire (and vice versa,) and if you need to have the frame serviced, somewhere along the line, you'll have two guns tied up, not just one.
Convertibles sound like a good idea, and I like and endorse the concept in revolvers, where a cylinder change does the job. But not in semi-autos.
I suggest you pick up a new, or maybe even a used .22/45 Ruger for your simulation practice gun. Good handling, sight and trigger control on one gun translates to similar expertise with any other, without the need for 'identical' triggers, balance etc.

Hal

slabsides,
Your certainly as entitled to your opinion as much as anyone else. I have lots of strong personal opinions myself, and don't hesitate to voice them. That is one reason were all here right? That being said, you do have some valid points.

Yes-accuracy is on a par with most other .22's costing between $200 and $250. My Ciener is just as accurate as my Buckmark Camper ($205.00), but the sights aren't as decent on the Ciener. It's not as accurate as my Ruger 22/45 ($199.00), but is more accurate than my Ruger Mark II "slabside". I attribute the fine Kimber trigger to the last. I can hit spent .45acp cases at 50 feet w/the .22/45, but not with the Ciener. I can hit spent 12 ga shells at 50 feet with the Ciener though. How much accuracy do you need?

Yes.- If the frame goes down it takes out 2 guns. Since I have 2 full size Kimbers, and my kit fits both, that's a non-issue in my case. Other's MMV.

Yes- For another $300 to $400 I could have bought a S&* model 41. The problem there is that I don't care for the Model 41. Ditto the Hammerli and the Trailside. I might. strong emphasis on might be tempted to get one of those three if the price was extremely attractive. Otherwise, they just leave me cold. *shrug* Personal preferance.

Yes- (although you don't mention it) I can handload .45acp ammo for slightly over 2 times the cost of CCI Stingers (My Ciener's favorite load). The problem there is that I find the .45acp to be boringly accurate, and not much of a challange. The .22 Ciener offers me much more satisfaction to shoot well.

In my experience, my 1911 conversion has proven far more reliable than the H&R convertible I own. The .22/.22mag is a horrible mismatch, acccurate in neither and expensive to shoot in .22mag. Also in my experience w/a Ciener, it takes less than 30 seconds to switch from .22 to .45 and back again. This is harly a reason not to get one since using it as a .22 and using it as a .45acp don't really have any real life application where speed of switching is concerned.

If I had to choose between a dedicated .22 and a conversion, the dedicated would win hands down. It's simply a better choice,,,,no argument there. The Ciener kit is a well made, functional, reliable and fairly accurate item. I highly recommend one.

slabsides

Member In Memoriam
Yep, it's called 'dialogue', RAE, and it's a good thing.
The idea isn't to argue, but to discuss, with everyone who reads getting the benefit of a variety of opinions.
I admit to strong opinions and a willingness to voice them, never denying to others the right to be contrary.
I'm glad you like your .45/.22 conversion, and that the many negative reports I've seen on the Ceiners have been uncharacteristic of the units.
As for your H&R revolver...I share your distaste for the piece. It's (thank Glog) not typical of convertible revolvers in general. I was actually thinking of my Ruger .45 convertible when I made my comment, a gun which gives superb accuracy with both cylinders.
I have a better opinion of the .22 WMR than you do, it seems. Try a good Ruger Super Single Six convertible some time, you might be converted.
Regards and respect.