.22lr Autos: 1911-types vs. "Traditional" Autos

seeker_two

I think I'm going to have to give in to my craving for a plinkable .22lr autopistol soon. I've had a Buckmark before, but I sold it long ago (needed the money more than I liked the gun). I've looked at the usual suspects (Ruger 22/45, S&W 22A, Beretta Neos, etc.) and I'm impressed, but......

....but then I started seeing all the 1911-type .22lr's on the market, esp. the GSG 1911's. Nice guns, and I've always liked the 1911 platform.

Question 1: How do the 1911-type autos compare to the "traditional" autos in terms of shooting enjoyment, accuracy, and reliability? Are they worthy of their good press, or should I just stick with the horses I know?....

Question 2 (for the gear-heads out there): Is the grip frame of a 1911-style .22lr long enough that, with the appropriate amount of engineering, one could be chambered in .22WMR? Seems like a great platform for all that new .22WMR SD ammo coming out..... :D

proxpilot

i had a GSG 1911 for quite a while. my GSG ran more reliably than my friends Ruger .22. the GSG is a great gun plus it's a 1911. :D

aarondhgraham

Consider this one, even though it's not a 1911,,,

CZ-75B Kadet in .22 LR,,,
malasestra.jpg

At right around $600.00 it's one pricey pistol,,,
But it's been well worth every penny I spent on it.

It eats anything from CCI Mini-Mags to El Cheapo bulk packs,,,
Extremely accurate handgun in the right hands.

But if you are looking for a full size service pistol in .22 LR,,,
This is a very finely made piece of machinery.

I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Aarond

.22WMR is not an SD round, no matter what the MFG says. The best .22 1911 on the market is the RIA XT, RIA doesn't usually come out first but heres why;

They use a steel frame and slide, bull barrel, target sights, and metal magazines. This gun is built like a centerfire, it is going to outlast 3 kimber .22lrs. It is also threaded for a suppressor out of the box. The only downside is it is not quite here yet, RIA is still getting production up. Patience grasshopper, it's hard for me too.:(

PS Keltec has their PMR30 in .22wmr.

seeker_two

Rugerismisticness:

1: The .22WMR isn't the best SD round out there, but it'll do in a pinch. What it is good at is a small-game "kit gun" round...and having a 1911-style .22WMR with 5" bbl. would make a dandy woods-tramping gun. The new SD ammo just makes it even better for hunting.

2. I know about the Kel-Tec. But, you have to admit, it's not nearly as pretty as a well-made 1911-style pistol. My dad has an AMT Automag in .22WMR, and it fits my hand so well....too bad it's not a true 1911.... :(

3. Thanks. I'll definitely check out the RIA XT. Looks nice...and a 15 rd. magazine isn't too shabby, either.... :D

larry60

EAA Witness 45acp/22lr for about $550.00 you will get a full size 22lr plus a nice 45acp. My experience with this gun is that the 22lr is great out of the box but I had to put a stronger recoil spring in the 45 to get reliable performance.

mpmax

I picked up a RIA tactical in .45acp and found a Ciener full size kit with 2 15rd mags (all used). I've had a number of Ruger mk I & II's, buckmark, and some odd Italian 22 pistols, but the 1911 frame and Ciener has given me several thousand rds of .22 firing joy. I pack a big grin thinking about the difference in cost of 22lr compared to .45acp.

According to Wiki, a .22 WMR has an overall length of 1.35". A typical .45 Auto loaded with FMJ runs about 1.26" overall. A standard 1911 receiver won't accept the length of the .22 WMR.

You might look at the AMT AutoMAG.

fastlead

By all means, look at the used High Standard pistols. .45 grip frame, real target sights and a fully adjustable trigger. Most will shoot 1/2 inch groups or better at 25 yards. If I had to choose one .22 pistol, it would definitely be a H.S. Citation or Trophy. Even the Sport Kings are fine field guns and plenty accurate for informal target shooting, small game and are reliable....And they look good, too. .....John

bbqncigars

My favorite .22lr pistol is a S&W 2206 that was on consignment at my local fun shop. The original owner ditched it due to 'accuracy and feeding problems'. It has been flawless since I removed the saw teeth from the feed ramp. The best $299.95 I've spent. It's got the barrel on the bottom of the gun, but the ejection port still clears my meathooks.