22LR and 22Magnum 300yds vs. 3/4inch Plywood

Jamie Young

22LR and 22Magnum 300yds vs. 3/4inch Plywood Pictures

It took a long time trying to adjust windage and elevation but We finally got it. The 22 Magnum blew chucks out of the plywood and kept on going. Most of the 22Mag holes are at the top left of the wood and the 22LR are at the lower Right. CCI Maxi Mags were used. I'm surprised the 22 Mag held up in the wind that day. Looks like it actually grouped pretty well. All the rounds were blown about 12inches to the left when I was shooting.

The Quick shoks only penetrated the first layer of Plywood and then smashed. The 22LR standard rounds penetrated everything except the last layer. I'm waiting for more pictures So I'll post as they come in.

Last edited:

orlando5

We did our own test today @100 yards, in fact we just got back from the range. We try to post it up on the website ASAP.

From the preliminary observation from our pine 4x4 wood, the .22lr only penetrated about ¾ inch @100 yard.

I am surprise the .22 mag didn’t do that well.

johnAK

I remember that several months ago when there was riot in cincinetti(?) that someone shot .22 from the roof to cop and media was crying for urban sniper or something,
but that .22 was stopped by pistol belt(that's what I heard),
which I don't get it when I see your testing wood target,

Jamie Young

Who's 22 Magnum didn't do to well????? I thought it did pretty good at 300yds. If I didn't have such a strong wind blowing, I might have gotten groups under 12inches. From the amount of force that got kicked up, I wonder if it would have penetrated 2inches of Plywood. Every time I hit it, CHUNKS got blown off. If we hadn't got kicked off the range after My Mini 14 thing, I would have tried to dig some of the 22Mag rounds out of the dirt. To see if they fragmented.

There is so much variation in 22LR ammo out there, that you have to be carefull what your comparing. The stuff we shot, was supposedly over 1600fps. The 22 Mag is suppose to be around 1900fps with the ammo I was using. I have some better stuff around 2100fps but I didn't want to waste it on this.

I took more pictures a few minutes ago of the back of the wood. I'll post them in the next few days. They aren't digital Pictures so I'll have to get them developed and scanned.

Jamie Young

NO

I just picked up a Ruger 10/22 the other day and I am not sure if I can shoot that stuff out of it. It says in My Owners manual not to shoot Stingers.

The thing which amazes me is........

You really have to be carefull you aren't shooting in the direction of homes roads with 22's. Shotguns get weak real fast but these 22LR rounds keep going.

orlando5

I remember that several months ago when there was riot in cincinetti(?) that someone shot .22 from the roof to cop and media was crying for urban sniper or something,
but that .22 was stopped by pistol belt(that's what I heard),
which I don't get it when I see your testing wood target,

This might be true. It depends on the angle of the strike and a police belt carrier a lot of equipments on them. The .22lr might hit one of those equipments and bounce off. Without all the details I can’t said much.

I won’t go into another caliber war, but I do expect the .22mag to perform at the same level as a .22lr or better.

We will post our result hopefully by Monday, Tue, or Wed. We will try to give you as much information as possible and how we conducted the test. It will be a fair objective opinion.

Subsonic bullets will penetrate less then a normal around.

inGobwetrust

I shoot the Aguila 22 SSS in one of my 1022's exclusively. I have it sighted for 75 yards with a Tasco World Class 3-9 and use it for varmint control. Hits harder than any other 22 I've ever tried but I've never used it beyond about 110 yards though. It's not a high pressure round and doesn't do any damage in a 1022.

I saw an ad in SGN a while back for a company that offers a 1022 1/7 twist barrel for the 60 grain Aguila load. I can't find that ad now but I'd like to know if anyone has tried one. The 60 grainers group just under 2" at 75 yards in my rifle but I'd like to do a little better.

I've killed two coyote with it and they wored real well. Both were shot in the heart at about 50 yards over bait and required only one shot.