.225 Winchester, .264 Winchester Magnum, Rifles, Loads, Reccomendations...

Hand_Rifle_Guy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acquiring a Big Box Of Loot lately has given me an excuse to get two new rifles, one .225 Win, one .264 Win Mag. (It was a big box of reloading stuff, including a Herter's press, and 8-9 different sets of dies, all of which I aquired for the grand sum of $50.)

The .225 intrigues me as a different approach to varminting than the .22-250, and I have always been a fan of the .264, even though I've never shot one. Just a non-conformist, me. Or a little/lot strange (probably ;)).

So:

1. Rifles. Neither caliber is really chambered by anybody except custom builders, an expensive proposition. I have no compunctions against used guns, plus I really like classic old designs and features. Old custom rifles can sell for pennies on the dollar of their original value, so does anybody have any good/bad stories about particular rifles or actions? Forewarned is forearmed, and there's a lot of nice-looking old rifles to sort through.

2. Stuff I've read says both calibers can sometimes be tricky to load for, but most of the stuff I've read dates from around when the calibers were introduced. Technology has changed a lot since then, with a host of different/better bullets and powders. I'm fishing for "magic" loads that people have discovered through boatloads of tedious research, so I don't have to do boatloads of tedious research. I am aware that "Every Rifle Is A Law Unto Itself", but I'm hoping for some good starting points. Stuff like bullet selection and weight, seating depth, case prep secrets, which powders work well/lousy, and so on.

Thanks for the help.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Never messed with a .225, but I once had a post-'64 Model 70 in .264.

I disremember the specifics, but I just used a whole bunch of 4831 behind whatever was sorta the "standard" bullet weight. It shot around one MOA, with no difficulty.

That was back in my po'-boy daze, so I traded it off for something more suitable for the hunting I was then doing.

For a handloader, the .264 is a good all-around hunting gun, really. I'd be a bit judicious on elk, say, but for open country deer, antelope or coyotes, it would work just fine. The overbore, relatively short barrel life precludes spending many days poppin' at paper. (It oughta make 2,000 rounds or more, easy, which doesn't hurt a thing for a hunter.)

FWIW, Art

The .225 is a decent cartridge, but there are so many others in the same league (.222, .223, .220, .22-250) that it's a "Why Bother Anymore" round.

Winchester only chambered it for about 15 years, IIRC, and Remington MAY have had a BDL for it for a short time, but I can't vouch for that.

Hand_Rifle_Guy

Why bother? It's an excuse to buy another gun. What more do you need.

Mostly, I just got dies, bullets, and a couple hundred cases. Good enough for me.:)

Hook_N_Bullet

I have a Sako Finbear in .264 Win Mag. I just purchased it (used) from my local Gun Dealer. I have yet to shoot it, but it is a very Classy looking gun. I have never heard anything bad about old Sako's.

I did a search on .264 here and found some good information, you may want to do the same.

Dave