.223 varminter loads?

MacGille

I just got a new Savage Varmint .223 with a Choate Ultimate sniper stock,Muzzle brake,Harris bipod, and a 6-24 x50MM scope. I have never loaded for this caliber before and I wonder if anyone has any favorite powders to use. I plan to use 55 Gr. hpbt bullets or 62 gr. hpbt bullets. Rifle has 1-9 twist and a 26" BBL. I loaded some IMR 4895 and IMR4064 loads but both loads are compressed loads and I would like some more flexibility. Thanx.

Dave R

What size varmits are you shooting? If they're small, here's my varmit load. 40gr bullet, though.

-40gr. Hornady V-Max (very accurate in my rifles, a 1:12 and a 1:9)
-27gr. H335. Not compressed, but close to max pressure. I believe max is 28gr.
-Winchester WSR primer. I use CCI 250s when I can't get the Winnies, but the Winnie's seem to shoot a bit better for me.
-Lake City cases. I have used lots of kinds of cases with this load, but LC is my favorite.

H335 does better with lighter bullets. Should be fine with 55gr, and probably with 62, but heavier than that--your other powders will be better.

Vandelescrow

I'm loading for two AR15s 16 inch barrel 1:9 and a 20 inch 1:12. I use the same loads for both. 55 grain FMJBT H335 24.0 grain CCI primers. The book I have says starting load is 23.0 max 25.3.

I just shoot paper and at 100 yards I get sub MOA groups through both guns standing unsupported.

bigwrench

I have had verry good results with Benchmark in loading .223. Particularly good results in a rifle similar to yours.

Bamashooter

my best shot groups came with 60gr. sierra varmiters and imr-4895 powder with a 1/9 twist barrel.

Last edited:

Poodleshooter

Our loads may not work for your rifle(s).
Google "optimal charge weight". Follow directions with a given set of components,and find your best load. I found a great load for my heavy barrel AR, that will put 7 rounds inside of 2.6" at 300yds from my benched/bagged bull barrel build. So I'm a believer in that system for developing a load.

GAR700

I have had great results with 55 grain v-maxes and varget. I can't remember the exact charge but it was somewhere mid range. It saves fur on large animals like coyotes and has explosive results with smaller stuff like rock chucks. Love it!
I also shot Sierra 55 HPBT's with varget with good results. RE 15 showed promise as it seemed good over a wide range of bullet styles and weights. I never got far enough along with RE 15 to develop a good pet load.
Good Luck,
GAR