223 trim length?

chris in va

I bought a Lee 223 trimmer and it really only runs it down to 1.76". Any problems with this? My AR doesn't seem to mind.

Edward429451

The consistency is more important than the actual length as long as they're short enough to run. You could touch the end of your pin to the grinder and tweak it slightly shorter also if you desire.

TXGunNut

"trim to minimum length" isn't engraved in stone, AFAIK, just a convenient practice. A light touch on a grinder or a stroke or two with a file will cut down on the frequency of your trimming sessions, tho. I used a grinder to make a "custom" trimmer for my LeveRevolution project and my cases came out shorter than Hornady's, lol.

spleify

1.760" is maximum SAAMI overall length.

I always recommend trimming .010 under maximum

I trim all my .223/5.56 to 1.750"

TXGunNut

Good point, Joe. Ran into that a time or two. Just a tiny piece of media can cause the issue Chris encountered.
Wait a minute on that grinder, Chris!

chris in va

I think my trimmer is getting dull. I can chuck it in my drill, grab the other end with pliers and most of the time it won't trim past 1.760. It's like the cutting head just kinda skates across the case mouth.

On a side note, anyone else have cases fly out of the holder? I don't have this problem with my 30-06, probably because it has a much larger case head.