223 tracers

CrustyFN

I'm getting some 223 tracer bullets real cheap. Most of them won't light and I don't want them to light, I'm just looking for cheap plinking ammo. Does anybody know how to remove or disable the tracer compound?
Rusty

Sevens

The tracer compound is in the base of the bullet, covered by a very thin piece of copper. When you look at a typical FMJ rifle bullet, you'll see the lead exposed base. But with tracer rounds, there is a little cap down there covering the tracer compound... What that stuff is, I don't know... Phosphorous, perhaps?

I don't know if you could carefully pry off the little copper dish that's placed there to cover the compound. If you could, makes me wonder how much the dish and the compound weigh, leaving you with what bullet weight.

I won't shoot them myself--my .223 is a T/C Contender. I have no idea what they can or will do to a barrel.

Crosshair

I just use cooler burning powders and don't load to max. Haven't had a problem with them lighting. You could probably seal the bases with something like a dab of Duco cement. Or you could try soaking the bullets in water for awhile the letting them dry a bit.

The only way to eliminate the chance 100% is to remove the tracer compound. I'm just careful at what I shoot at with them.

perley03

A tracer projectile is constructed with a hollow base filled with a pyrotechnic flare material often made of phosphorus or magnesium or other bright burning chemicals. In US and NATO standard ammunition this is usually a mixture of strontium salts and a metal fuel such as magnesium. This yields a bright red light. Russian and Chinese tracer ammunition generates green light using barium salts.
The problem with phosphorus is it is highly flammable, and it will self ignite when emitted to oxygen. I would leave them be, and fire them at a gravel pit during the day to minimize their presence.

CrustyFN

Thanks everybody. I have decided to load a bunch up and use them as my winter ammo when everything is wet and there is snow on the ground. Summer time I will use something different.
Rusty

ibfestus

.223 Tracers

I also bought some tracer projos that wouldn't light. I fooled with them for days and even tried a propane torch and they still wouldn't light! I loaded them up and lo and behold about every other one lit!! Go figure.

I do not believe tracers are any harder on your barrel than any other bullet. They do not light until at least 100 yds out. my $.02