.223 subsonic

simonrichter

Hey there,

I was looking for .223 subsonic options, but Google didn't bring up that much. Any ideas which maker other than "Atomic" produces that stuff? (Yes, I'm aware of the fact that it produces hardly .22 WMR level ME and does not cycle semiautos - I have a pump-action and could shoot it at my indoor range if I had something of a softer sound signature than the usual loads (14" barrel)

THX for any advice...

44 AMP

Staff
Load your own.

There is no significant demand for sub-sonic .223 ammo, so no major ammo maker is going to have them as a regular item.

Am slightly curious, your range has noise level limits??? never heard of that before. Generally where they prohibit .223(and usually all other rifles) is due to standard ammo being too much for the range backstop.

T. O'Heir

It's that 14" barrel that's causing the big loud BANG! Regular manual loads were tested in much longer barrels.
Have a read of this.
https://loaddata.com/Article/LoadDevelopment/Subsonic-Trail-Boss-Loads/234
There are several American companies loading subsonic ammo. Highly unlikely they export though.
A net search for "subsonic .223 ammo" turns up 141,000 results, but that doesn't mean they export. There are a swarm of U.S. laws about exporting. And another swarm of EU import laws.
Like AMP says, reloading will fix that. Another net search turned up the loaddata(They want money for data) .pdf.

simonrichter

Great, thanks for the info!

No, the range has no "decibel threshold" but allows all pistol calibers plus rimfire. The backstop is not the problem, but since they have no sound trapping ealls, short barreled rifles are obnoxious, even with plugs + mufflers + a thick hood you kinda feel the sound in your chest, far more than a .45 ACP or the like.

HiBC

I get why you are doing it. Your pump and indoor shooting.

The market might be more around the AR-15 application.

Not much difference between a sub sonic 223 and a 22 LR A 22 lr top end pins on an AR pretty easy.

Trying to load subsonic in a 5.56 AR can lead to poor powder combustion and gunkying up an AR gas system.

But those issues don't apply to you.