.223 Remington first reloads

steve1147

After reloading pistol ammo for many years, I'm finally delving in to reloading for the .223 Remington Rock River AR-15 I recently bought. It's a 5.56 upper and lower.
I'm loading 55gn V-Max flat base in once used Remington brass with CCI magnum primers and H-335 powder. Lee dies, and FCD applying strong but not max crimp. OAL 2.200
First 5 rounds: 22.5 grains of H-335, needed to bump up.
Second 5 rounds: 23.5 grains of H-335
Average velocity of the five from the 16" barrell, 1-8 twist: 2810 fps.
Average velocity of my store-bought Remingtons in 55 grain: 2890 fps.
No over pressure signs on primers or cases, all looks good.
Thinking of bumping another 1/2 grain and calling it good. I'm not into the precision shooting, use a red-dot, and it's all about defense and fun, not a 1/2 inch spread.
Am I on the right path?
Thanks, Steve W.

Last edited:

hooligan1

Sounds to me that you've already made some headway. My son and I loaded up five different weights of 748 winchester, with 52 grain solid base boattail bullets from Nosler. we haven't shot them yet so....:)

Last edited:

Eagle0711

Looks to me like your doing really well. I've loaded for lots of rifle and pistol calibers for many years, but never the 223. I just bought a set of RCBS dies and follow in your steps with the AR.

I'm looking forward to it.

Ninth and Plum

That is the same that I use for my ar. I load mine at 22g since I didn't notice much difference when loaded light or max loads.

steve1147

OK, loaded and shot 5 at 24gns 335, 55gn V-max, CCI magnum primer, 2.225 OAL out of 16" 1/9 twist Rock River AR-15. Medium crimp w/Lee FCD.
My cases are coming out of the rifle cleaner than factory. Averaging 3000 fps, factory is going faster, but I'm not real concerned with that.
In the following pics, the cases on the left are my spent loads, on right are factory spent loads of Remington.
Look like a good place for me to stop and load a few hundred?
Thanks, Steve W.

Attachments

• 223_carts 001.jpg
    223_carts 001.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 223_carts 003.jpg
    223_carts 003.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 65

amamnn

The only thing I would add is that you should be very careful to thoroughly clean your Lee dies after use--get all the finger oil off and wipe them down with a silicone cloth. Cleaning out the inside of the FL die can be done with aerosol brake cleaner. Cleaning is a good idea after every use of any brand of die, but most especially with the Lee offerings. I have a set of Lees that I have used for years and years--mainly for my AR and I did not get this advice until I had already noticed rust on the crimp die--now I clean those dies like a dentist...............

flashhole

Another caution is to use smaller increments in powder charge during load development, especially with ball powders. Some of them are temperature sensitive and a load you develop at 50 degrees may be over pressure at 90 degrees.

golfnutrlv

Sounds good to me. I load my .223 with a 55gr Hornady FMJ, 24 gr H335 at 2.24 inches. Creates GREAT accuracy out of my 1:9" Smith M&P 15.

I think you have a keeper.

CrustyFN

Steve it sounds like you are doing a good job working up the load. I also have a Rock River 16" with a 1:9 twist. I load 25 grains of H335, Hornady 55 grain FMJ-BT and a standard SRP. These have been very accurate for me.

steve1147

Being new to the rifle reloading, tell me if this is normal or if I might be a little too hot at 23.5 gns of H-335, magnum small rifle primer, 55 gn v-max.
I bought with the rifle 400 rounds of all new Remington 55 gn so after firing these are my reloading brass.
After initial firing of new cartridges, case length is approx. 1.752-1.754.
After first reload and firing, some have grown to 1.755-1.765, with one all the way to 1.770. These are now in the 'trim' can.
Is it normal to need to trim some back after just two firings?
Remember, I'm spoiled to handgun carts in the past!
Thanks! Steve W.

mikejonestkd

Yes, trimming after a few loadings is normal for bottleneck rifle cartridges, especially when you get closer to the max loadings. I'd consider going to regular primers, magnum primers are not needed for H335 and in fact it might spike pressure.
My personal pet load for .223 is 24 grains of H335 under a 52 gr Sierra HPBT match. H335 is s great powder for .223.

603Country

The powder that works best in my 223 bolt gun, with 1 in 9 twist, is AA2230. I tried the H335 and Varget and IMR3031, but got better results with the AA2230. And that's with 55 gr NBT, 60 grain Partition, and 65 gr Sierra GK. I tried a lot of combinations of bullet weight and powder. But, as I've mentioned before, my rifle is kinda finicky.